You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Yosemite officials say 1,700 visitors risk disease

FRESNO, Calif. — Yosemite officials told 1,700 past visitors on Tuesday that they may have been exposed to a rodent-borne disease already blamed for the deaths of two people who stayed in cabins at the national park.

Four people who spent time in Signature Tent Cabins at Curry Village around the same time in June have contracted hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, an illness spread by rodent feces, urine, and saliva.

Continue reading below

One of the people who died was from outside California. The Centers for Disease Control confirmed the death within the past few days. Two other people were infected and expected to survive.

The disease can incubate for up to six weeks before flu-like symptoms develop. It is fatal in 30 percent of all cases; there is no specific treatment.

‘‘This is certainly an issue and we’re getting word out,’’ said park spokesman Scott Gediman. ‘‘We’re very concerned about visitors and employees, but we feel we are taking proactive steps in both cleaning the affected areas and in public education.’’ Rangers were handing out brochures about hantavirus to guests as they entered the park.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week