Long-missing Marine buried with full honors

Killed during rescue mission off Cambodia in 1975

Private First Class James Jacques’s remains were brought into Fort Logan National Cemetery. He was 18 when he died.

Ed Andrieski/Associated Press

Private First Class James Jacques’s remains were brought into Fort Logan National Cemetery. He was 18 when he died.

DENVER — A Colorado family’s years of waiting ended Tuesday when they finally buried a fallen Marine who had been missing since a helicopter crash during the rescue of an American ship crew seized by Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge in 1975.

Private First Class James Jacques was laid to rest with full military honors at Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver on what would have been his 56th birthday.


About 50 Vietnam War veterans holding American flags lined a street in the sprawling hilltop cemetery. Doves were released after three volleys were fired into the air.

‘‘We never lost hope that he would come home, and that day has come,’’ said Delouise Guerra, Jacques’s older sister. ‘‘Now we all have closure.’’

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Jacques, then 18 years old, was on a helicopter that crashed during the rescue of the cargo ship SS Mayaguez crew in May 1975. Of the 26 people aboard the helicopter, 13 were rescued and the other 13 were declared missing, including Jacques.

Jacques was among hundreds of Marines and airmen sent to storm Koh Tang Island, about 60 miles off the coast of Cambodia, to rescue the Mayaguez crew. The helicopter carrying Jacques crashed into the surf off Koh Tang Island amid unexpectedly heavy fire from Cambodian fighters.

All 39 crew Mayaguez members were released safely by Cambodia, but some 40 US servicemen were killed.


Jacques’s identification dog tags were found in 1992, but his remains weren’t positively identified until this year, said Air Force Major Carie Parker of the Defense Prisoner of War and Missing Personnel Office.

A Cambodian had turned over the remains to a US-Cambodian search team in 2007. Newly available DNA technology allowed researchers to confirm the identity this year.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.