You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Nation

$6m mailed to stage collapse victims

INDIANAPOLIS — The ­Indiana attorney general’s ­office sent out $6 million in checks Thursday to 59 victims of last year’s deadly Indiana State Fair stage collapse.

The payments bring to $11 million the amount the state has paid to stage collapse victims. It had already paid $5 million, the limit for tort claims under Indiana law. The supplemental payments were approved by the General ­Assembly this year.

Continue reading below

Attorney General Greg Zoeller announced the payments at a news conference, saying the second round of checks would take care of medical expenses for victims whose injuries weren’t permanent. The state also has covered medical expenses through Nov. 15, 2011, for those who were paralyzed or have injuries that require ongoing care, said Special Deputy Attorney General Paul Mullin.

The Legislature also agreed to pay $700,000 to each of the estates of the ­seven people who died. So far, each estate has received $400,000.

Zoeller said the payments were appropriate ‘‘in light of all that the victims had to endure.’’

The stage rigging collapsed in strong wind as people were waiting for the country duo Sugarland to perform at the Indiana State Fair. Along with the seven killed, 60 people were injured.

An independent arbitration panel determined how much individuals would receive after reviewing evidence, such as medical bills and insurance payments, and face-to-face interviews with some victims and survivors and their attorneys.

Officials said the process, which was designed with ­assistance from victim compensation specialist Kenneth Feinberg, required far less time than it would have to try each case in court.

Victims agreed not to sue the state in return for the payments, but a statement from the attorney general’s office said they can still pursue private litigation against other defendants. Numerous such lawsuits have already been filed against other defendants, including the band and the companies that made or set up the stage.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week