You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Bruins Live

3

2

2nd Intermission

Father of Conn. gunman claims body

HARTFORD — The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut elementary school, including 20 first-graders, has claimed his son’s body, a spokesman for the family said Monday.

The remains of Adam Lanza were claimed by Peter Lanza, the spokesman said.

Continue reading below

The Connecticut medical examiner’s office said Lanza’s body was released on Thursday. Private funeral arrangements were made over the weekend.

Adam Lanza, 20, slaughtered the children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. He also killed his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

A private funeral was held earlier this month in New Hampshire for his mother, Nancy, who was divorced from Peter Lanza.

Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric.

Authorities have not offered a motive for the killings. State Police say they have been exploring all aspects of Adam Lanza’s life including his education, family history, and medical treatment for clues.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week