TROY, Ohio — A western Ohio man pleaded no contest Tuesday to one count of child rape involving the adopted son of a man who had earlier admitted to raping three boys in his care.
Jason Zwick, 30, made the plea in Miami County, just before jury selection was to begin. Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee pronounced him guilty and sentenced him to 10 years to life in prison.
Prosecutors dropped two other charges that Zwick had raped the 10-year-old adopted son of the Troy man who has pleaded guilty to raping three boys. Zwick, of the Dayton suburb of Beavercreek, allegedly went to the adoptive father’s home in Troy to rape the boy after the men communicated online.
The boy’s 40-year-old adoptive father, who will serve 60 years to life in prison as part of his plea agreement, was expected to testify against Zwick, as was the boy, now 11.
Zwick’s attorney had unsuccessfully sought Monday to delay the trial, alleging possible witness tampering. Attorney Joe Stadnicar was not available immediately for comment after the plea Tuesday.
Zwick answered ‘‘yes’’ to a series of questions from the judge, who wanted to make sure Zwick understood his rights and the details of the plea and possible sentence. Zwick declined to make a statement before the judge ruled.
Zwick’s plea means he does not contest the charge against him, without admitting guilt. Anthony Kendell, an assistant county prosecutor, said prosecutors expect him to appeal, but believe they are on solid ground for it.
Gee also sentenced Zwick to pay a $20,000 fine and ordered him to regularly report his whereabouts as a sex offender to law enforcement if he becomes free.
‘‘This is the most despicable thing I’ve ever seen,’’ Kendell said after the plea hearing. ‘‘This is a guy out shopping for minors . . . to have sex with. We got him off the street.’’