WASHINGTON — The US-led military command in Afghanistan said Tuesday that it will no longer publish figures on Taliban attacks, a week after acknowledging that its report of a 7 percent decline in attacks last year was wrong and there was no decline.
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force, Jamie Graybeal, said Tuesday that its reporting on the number of attacks will grow increasingly inaccurate as Afghan forces move further into the battlefield lead.
‘‘Because [Afghan forces] are now conducting an increasing number of successful unilateral operations, often beyond the view of ISAF, we have determined that our databases will become increasingly inaccurate in reflecting the entirety of enemy initiated attacks,’’ Graybeal said in a written statement.
‘‘Additionally, we have come to realize that a simple tally of [attacks] is not the most complete measure of the campaign’s progress,’’ Graybeal said. ‘‘At a time when more than 80 percent of the [attacks] are happening in areas where less than 20 percent of Afghans live, this single facet of the campaign is not particularly accurate in describing the complete effect of the insurgency’s violence on the people of Afghanistan.’’
The Taliban have been pushed out of many population centers and have failed to regain territory they held before the surge of US troops in 2010. But they are expected to test Afghan forces as US and allied troops withdraw over the coming two years. All foreign combat forces are to be gone by Dec. 31, 2014.