NEW ORLEANS — Gunmen opened fire on dozens of people marching in a Mother’s Day second-line parade in New Orleans on Sunday, wounding at least 19 people, police said.
The FBI said that the shooting appeared to be ‘‘street violence’’ and wasn’t linked to terrorism. Police spokeswoman Remi Braden said many of the victims were grazed and most of the wounds weren’t life-threatening. No deaths were reported.
The victims included 10 men, seven women, a boy and a girl. The children, both 10 years old, were grazed and in good condition. Police said at least two people were in surgery on Sunday night.
Officers were interspersed with the marchers, which is routine for such events. As many as 400 people joined in the procession that stretched for about three blocks, though only half that many were in the immediate vicinity of the shooting, Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said.
Police saw three suspects running from the scene in the city’s Seventh Ward neighborhood. No arrests had been made.
Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned.
A social club called The Original Big 7 organized Sunday’s event. The group was founded in 1996 at the Saint Bernard housing projects, according to its MySpace page.
The neighborhood where the shooting happened was a mix of low-income and middle-class row houses, some boarded up. As of last year, the neighborhood’s population was about 60 percent of its pre-Hurricane Katrina level.
Police vowed to make swift arrests. Serpas said it wasn’t clear if particular people in the second line were targeted, or if the shots were fired in a random fashion. ‘‘We’ll get them. We have good resources in this neighborhood,’’ Serpas said.