You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Mother loses 4 children, husband, and sister in Pa. fire

Firefighters battled a house fire that killed four children and two adults in Pottsville, Pa. Neighbors said they heard cries for help, but the flames prevented any rescue.

JC Kriesher/Associated Press

Firefighters battled a house fire that killed four children and two adults in Pottsville, Pa. Neighbors said they heard cries for help, but the flames prevented any rescue.

POTTSVILLE, Pa. — Fire tore through a family’s eastern Pennsylvania home on Mother’s Day, authorities said, killing four young children, their father, and another relative while their mother was across the street doing laundry at a friend’s house.

The blaze broke out around 11:55 p.m. Sunday at the single-family home in Pottsville. Firefighters later found all of the bodies on the third floor of the building, which is on a steep hillside near the D.G. Yuengling & Son brewery in coal country, about 90 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

Continue reading below

The fire was declared under control shortly before 1 a.m. State police fire marshals were sifting through the debris later Monday morning and authorities were searching for the cause of the blaze, which investigators said began in the kitchen.

Fire Chief Todd March said it was the deadliest blaze in Pottsville, a city of about 14,000, in his 37-year career.

The Schuylkill County Coroner’s office identified the victims as Eric Brown, 30; and his children, Elijah, 2; Emily, 3; Jeremiah, 7; and Joy, 8. Kristina Thomas, 26, also died in the fire. She was the sister of 28-year-old Kelly Brown, the mother who survived.

Kelly Brown had been doing laundry at a neighbor’s house nearby at the time of the blaze because her washing machine was broken, according to the neighbor, Jennifer Purcell.

Neighbors said they heard screams for help, but the flames were too intense by the time they got to the house.

Investigators were looking at a wood-burning stove in the kitchen as one of several possible causes. March also said there was no immediate evidence of smoke detectors in the home.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.