Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Statue of Liberty security plan opposed

NEW YORK — New security plans for the Statue of Liberty could leave visitors vulnerable when it reopens July Fourth, officials said Monday.

Senator Charles Schumer and New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly called for the National Park Service to reverse its plan, which calls for visitors to board boats either in Lower Manhattan or New Jersey and stop at nearby Ellis Island for security.

Continue reading below

‘‘The NYPD and the Park Service have differences over how to best protect visitors from a potential terrorist attack,’’ said Kelly, adding that he has written to the secretary of the interior about the issue.

Previously, passengers were screened with airport-style metal detectors before they boarded boats for Liberty Island from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan and Liberty State Park in New Jersey.

‘‘This screening was put in just after the horrific events of Sept. 11. And I can tell you, in our judgment, the threat has not abated,’’ Kelly said.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week