You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

US quietly offers up to $10 million for information on Benghazi attack

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department said Friday that it has been quietly offering rewards since January of up to $10 million for information leading to the arrest or conviction of any person involved in last year’s attack on a US diplomatic compound in Libya.

In a letter sent to lawmakers on Friday, the department said the rewards were not advertised on its ‘‘Rewards for Justice’’ website or posters or matchbooks as is normally done because of security issues around the ongoing investigation into the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the mission in Benghazi that killed US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Continue reading below

A State Department official familiar with the letter to Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, acknowledged that it’s unusual not to publicize offers of rewards, but said investigators have other ways of making sure the information is known ‘‘as needed.’’ In the course of the probe, investigators have made it known to individuals that cash is available for those coming forward with actionable information.

The official said the rewards have been in place since Jan. 7. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the private correspondence and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Lawmakers had complained the department was not using all the tools at its disposal to catch the perpetrators. McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security committee, had been the lead author of a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry asking why rewards were not being offered for the Benghazi suspects.

The State Department had previously ducked questions about whether rewards for the Benghazi attackers had been offered, citing concerns about identifying possible suspects.

The State Department official said the rewards are not targeted at specific individuals but are rather ‘‘event-specific’’ and intended to solicit information about anyone who took part in the attack on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.