You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Ex-New Orleans mayor says witness lied

Nagin engages in testy exchange with prosecutor

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

AP/file

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

NEW ORLEANS — In sharp exchanges Thursday with a prosecutor in his corruption trial, former mayor Ray Nagin flatly denied seeking $60,000 from a contractor who had just been turned down for city business.

‘‘He lied,’’ Nagin said of key prosecution witness Rodney Williams, as Assistant US Attorney Matthew Coman questioned him about three $20,000 payments made by Williams’s company to Stone Age LLC, Nagin’s family-owned granite business.

Continue reading below

The testy back-and-forth came during cross-examination of Nagin, who is being tried on a 21-count indictment with charges including bribery, money laundering, conspiracy, and filing false tax returns. His testimony, during which he also downplayed his power to approve no-bid contracts, lasted until the trial recessed for the evening.

Earlier Thursday, Nagin’s lawyer questioned him during a calm, point-by-point rebutting of allegations that he took hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes during and after his two terms, from 2002-2010. Prosecutors allege that his corruption included the period after Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005, when contractors sought to benefit from potentially lucrative rebuilding jobs.

Nagin gave his side a day after the prosecution rested, ending five days of testimony from more than two dozen prosecution witnesses, including Williams and four others who said they were involved in bribing the former mayor.

Exchanges with Coman were sharp but, at times, jocular. At one point, Coman discussed a Mardi Gras season mayoral ball that Williams attended. ‘‘Yes, with a thousand of my closest friends,’’ Nagin said.

In a more serious tone, Nagin denied knowing that a one-time city vendor paid for his family’s vacation to Hawaii in 2004, a trip that prosecutors have cast as one of several bribes he accepted.

‘‘If anything, Greg said he was paying for’’ the trip, Nagin said under questioning from his lawyer, Robert Jenkins. He was referring to Greg Meffert, his former technology chief.

Meffert has pleaded guilty in the case and awaits sentencing. He testified last week that Nagin was aware that Mark St. Pierre and his NetMethods company paid for the Hawaii trip. St. Pierre was convicted of bribery and other charges in 2011.

Nagin sought to put a more innocent spin on what prosecutors have tried to establish as evidence of his corruption. He accepted a free private plane ride to Chicago for a Saints playoff game in early 2007 because flights out of New Orleans were still hard to arrange in the months after Katrina hit. He insisted that no business was discussed on the private plane of Frank Fradella, nor was it discussed in Chicago.

Nagin’s indictment says the flight was a payoff from Fradella, who has pleaded guilty in the case and testified that he bribed Nagin with cash and free granite for the foundering Nagin family granite business.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.