Nation

NBC’s Brian Williams changes story about Iraq war incident

Brian Williams retracted a statement that he was in a helicopter that was shot down in Iraq in 2003.

Associated Pressfile

Brian Williams retracted a statement that he was in a helicopter that was shot down in Iraq in 2003.

NBC News anchor Brian Williams apologized Wednesday for mistakenly claiming he had been on a helicopter that was shot down by ground fire in Iraq in 2003.

Last week, NBC Nightly News filmed Williams taking a soldier to a New York Rangers game. The public address announcer at the game explained to the crowd that “U.S. Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tim Terpak was responsible for the safety of Brian Williams and his NBC News team after their Chinook helicopter was hit and crippled by enemy fire” during the invasion of Iraq.

Advertisement

Terpak received a standing ovation, and, on Facebook, where NBC posted a video of the story, Williams was also praised. But one commenter cast doubt on the story, which Williams also told in vivid and specific detail to David Letterman in 2013.

“Sorry dude, I don’t remember you being on my aircraft,” wrote Lance Reynolds on Facebook. “I do remember you walking up about an hour after we had landed to ask me what had happened.”

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The military newspaper Stars and Stripes, which first reported on the Facebook comment, identified Reynolds as the flight engineer on the helicopter. He and other crew members told Stars and Stripes that Williams was not in their helicopter that had been shot down but in one that arrived an hour later.

On Wednesday, Williams replied on Facebook and admitted that he had made a mistake, acknowledging that he was not in an aircraft hit by ground fire but instead was in a following aircraft.

“You are absolutely right and I was wrong,” he wrote, adding that he had in fact been on the helicopter behind the one that had been hit. Constant viewing of the video showing him inspecting the impact area, he said, “and the fog of memory over 12 years — made me conflate the two, and I apologize.”

Advertisement

On Wednesday’s night’s Nightly News broadcast, Williams reiterated his apology.

“This was a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran and by extension our brave military men and women veterans everywhere, those who have served while I did not,” Williams said. “I hope they know they have my greatest respect and also now my apology.”

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com