Next Score View the next score

    Full service back after weekend train derailment

    A Long Island Rail Road train derailed near New Hyde Park, N.Y., Saturday after it hit a work train on the tracks.
    Sarah Qamar via Associated Press
    A Long Island Rail Road train derailed near New Hyde Park, N.Y., Saturday after it hit a work train on the tracks.

    NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y. — Full rush-hour service has been restored for the Monday evening commute on the Long Island Rail Road after a weekend derailment.

    Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement Monday afternoon.

    The Long Island Rail Road is running a regular weekday schedule for the evening on the affected Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Oyster Bay branches.


    State officials said a 12-car commuter train and a work train performing track maintenance sideswiped each other Saturday night, causing the commuter train to derail east of New York City.

    Get Ground Game in your inbox:
    Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Thirty-three people were injured, four of them seriously.

    The Federal Railroad Administration is continuing to investigate.

    Cuomo said crews used a crane to lift the derailed train back onto the tracks and then moved it from the site. They also repaired damaged tracks and conducted the necessary inspections before restoring service.

    In a separate development, partial rail service resumed Monday at a transit station damaged when a train traveling more than twice the speed limit crashed, killing a woman on the platform and injuring more than 100 other people.


    The return of service into Hoboken Terminal was welcomed by commuters — even if some had still-painful memories of the Sept. 29 crash.

    Eight of the 17 tracks at Hoboken Terminal reopened, according to New Jersey Transit. Tracks 10 to 17 reopened, while tracks 1 to 9 will remain out of service until further notice as repair work continues in that section of the busy station, where commuters connect with other trains and with ferries heading into New York City,

    Crews have erected a big plywood wall to block off the area where the accident occurred, and foot traffic to the PATH was being diverted to another entrance.