The Republican National Committee, responding to plans by two television networks to air programs about Hillary Rodham Clinton, approved a resolution Friday to block CNN and NBC from hosting GOP presidential primary debates.
The unanimous vote affirmed RNC Chairman Reince Priebus’s threat against the networks if they went ahead with programs about Clinton, a possible Democratic presidential contender. Priebus said CNN has ‘‘an obvious bias.’’
‘‘That’s a network that won’t be hosting a single Republican primary debate,’’ Priebus declared, receiving a standing ovation from Republican activists from across the country gathered for the committee’s summer meeting in Boston.
In a statement, CNN said a division of the company planned to air a documentary about Clinton in 2014.
‘‘The project is in the very early stages of development, months from completion,’’ the CNN statement read. ‘‘We encouraged all interested parties to wait until the program premieres before judgments are made about it. Unfortunately, the RNC was not willing to do that.’’
Meanwhile, the Fox TV Studios has decided not to help produce NBC’s ‘‘Hillary’’ miniseries, said Leslie Oren, the company’s spokeswoman. Fox’s participation attracted attention because it is owned by News Corp. and is a sister company to the Fox News Channel, where the project has come under attack from commentators.
— ASSOCIATED PRESS
Judge’s order expected to block strict Pa. voter ID law
HARRISBURG, Pa. — A state judge issued an order Friday that is expected to block enforcement of Pennsylvania’s strict voter-identification law in the Nov. 5 general election.
Poll workers can ask voters to show IDs if they have them and distribute written material about the law, but they may not tell voters at the polls that photo IDs could be required in future elections, Commonwealth Court Judge Bernard McGinley said.
‘‘There is no value in inaccurate information, and the court does not deem inaccurate information ‘educational.’ It is not a matter of confusion — it is a matter of accuracy,’’ McGinley wrote.
McGinley’s ruling marked the third consecutive election in which enforcement of the law has been blocked by court order.
After legal jousting that reached the state Supreme Court, a judge blocked enforcement in last year’s presidential election and again in this year’s municipal and judicial primary because of worry that it could disenfranchise voters who lacked a valid photo ID.
The preliminary injunction will remain in effect until McGinley decides the case and rules on a request for a permanent injunction. Although his order does not mention the Nov. 5 election, both sides in the case sought to block enforcement of the law in that election.
The plaintiffs — the NAACP, the Pennsylvania League of Women Voters and Philadelphia’s Homeless Advocacy Project — emphasized problems in distributing a new voting-only ID card available for free to voters without other acceptable IDs.
They said dozens of registered voters who applied for the cards before last year’s election did not receive them before the election.
Lawyers for the state defended the law, arguing that last year’s multimillion-dollar publicity campaign and the refinement of the special voting-only card ensured that any registered voter who lacks an appropriate ID can now get one.
— ASSOCIATED PRESS