Mayoral candidate John Connolly on Wednesday swore off independent expenditures from outside special interest groups, publicly declaring that he does not want $500,000 pledged to him earlier this week by Stand For Children, an Oregon-based education nonprofit.
Connolly, an at-large city councilor and one of a dozen mayoral hopefuls, had come under fire from other candidates after the group’s endorsement and pledge of financial support was reported by the Globe on Tuesday.
“The first I learned about the $500,000 independent expenditure is when I read about it in the newspaper,” Connolly said during a Wednesday morning press conference at City Hall. “I did not request any contribution and I do not want any contribution.”
Connolly said he will write a letter later today to Stand For Children asking them not to spend any money on his behalf. He added that he would also ask Democrats for Education Reform, which has been canvassing on his behalf, to stop spending money for his campaign.
The candidate’s public rejection of the Stand For Children money came one day after other Boston mayoral candidates slammed him for the gift, decrying the infusion of special interest money into the race.
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week