You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Politics

Chris Christie hires firm for review of traffic scandal

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday he has hired a legal team headed up by a former federal prosecutor to help the administration conduct its own review of an apparent political payback scandal and to help his office deal with multiple investigations, including by the U.S. attorney.

Former federal prosecutor Randy Mastro will lead the team from the firm of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, the administration said. The firm will ‘‘review best practices for office operations and information flow, and assist with document retention and production,’’ the administration said in a three-paragraph statement.

Continue reading below

The U.S. attorney’s office in New Jersey and the Legislature are looking into a plot that shut down lanes to the George Washington Bridge for four days in September, causing massive traffic jams in the town of Fort Lee. The plot apparently was hatched by Christie’s aides as a political vendetta, possibly because Fort Lee’s Democratic mayor wouldn’t endorse the Republican governor’s re-election.

At a news conference last week, Christie said he would continue interviewing his senior staff to determine if there is any other information he needs to know and if he needs to take any further action, but he did not indicate his review would go further than that.

Christie sought Thursday to turn the cameras away from the scandal with a visit — postponed after the bridge scandal hit — to a town on the New Jersey shore hard-hit in October 2012 by Superstorm Sandy.

The governor’s work leading New Jersey through the recovery from the storm, which damaged more than 360,000 homes and businesses, helped cement his national reputation as a no-nonsense, hard-driving governor willing to work closely with Democrats to get things done. It also raised his stock as a potential 2016 presidential candidate.

About 100 residents lined up in Manahawkin to see Christie at his first public appearance outside the Statehouse since the scandal broke wide open last week. The setting was the sort of place Christie often appeared in the aftermath of Sandy: a shore fire station. This time, he spoke in front of an antique ladder truck.

Continue reading below

He received applause and a few whoops before going on to promise: ‘‘I am focused as completely this morning as I was when I woke up on the morning of Oct. 30, 2012, and nothing will distract me from getting the job done. Nothing.’’

In a statement on the hiring of the outside law firm, the governor’s office said he believed Mastro ‘‘will bring an outside, third-party perspective to the situation.’’

Christie spokesman Colin Reed would not say who is paying for the special counsel or whether the retention of the law firm means Christie plans to conduct a more vigorous internal investigation than first announced.

Mastro was an assistant U.S. attorney who specialized in organized crime cases and led the federal government’s landmark racketeering suit that compelled the International Brotherhood of Teamsters to hold elections and undergo court supervision, the administration said. He also served as a deputy mayor of New York City.

His hiring was announced one day after the state Assembly tapped Reid Schar, the federal prosecutor who won the corruption conviction of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, to aid in its investigation.

On Thursday, the Legislature was prepared to issue new subpoenas as part of its investigation.

The subpoenas will be served once the New Jersey Assembly votes to renew its authority to continue the inquiry in the new legislative session. The vote is a formality.

Assemblyman John Wisniewski, who is leading the legislative investigation, said the new subpoenas will seek emails and text messages from key Christie aides. Documents that were subpoenaed earlier and released recently showed that a now-fired member of Christie’s administration gave the go-ahead to shut down the traffic lanes.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week