Special Reports

Spate of violence leaves 4 dead in city

Clean shaven and smiling, Adilson Barros kissed his mother goodbye, saying he was heading to his cousin’s bar on Bowdoin Street, where the close-knit Cape Verdean family meets every Friday.

Ninety minutes later, Barros became Boston’s fourth homicide victim in just over 48 hours, shot seven times from behind, as he opened the door to Gigi’s Place. As Boston police investigated yesterday, Barros’s heartbroken family members consoled one another, trying to make sense of the tragedy.

“He was our baby,” Adelcia Barros, 27, the victim’s sister, said by telephone last night. “He was always happy, smiling. He had no problems with anyone.”


Police said Barros was found outside 225 Bowdoin St., in Dorchester, about 12:35 a.m. yesterday. He was pronounced dead at Boston Medical Center. A police spokeswoman declined to comment on the investigation. “We’re looking at everything,” said Officer Sharon Dottin. “We urge anyone from the public with information to contact us.”

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Barros was Boston’s 58th homicide of the year, three more than at the same time a year ago, according to crime statistics. The shooting occurred a little more than 24 hours after a Roslindale man was stabbed to death Thursday night on Hyde Park Avenue, police said.

Jeff Igbineweka, 28, of Roslindale was stabbed multiple times. A suspect in the stabbing, Haussan Leon Harris, was still at large yesterday, Dottin said.

Dottin said police are at a loss to explain the rush of violence, which began Wednesday night and continued until early yesterday. “Things sometimes go in cycles,” she said. “We had some in the beginning of September, then things quieted down. ... These last few days have been rough.”

Police also are looking for suspects in the death of Hardy Celestin, 17, a sophomore at East Boston High School. Celestin was shot four times in the head at 11 p.m. Wednesday at an MBTA bus stop near Harvard Street and Cummins Highway.


Dottin said police also were looking for a suspect in the slaying of Levar Jackson, 28, who died from a gunshot wound to the head at 1 a.m. Friday as he sat on the steps at 42 Stanwood St. in Dorchester.

Police also are investigating the shooting Thursday of an unidentified employee inside a Sunoco gas station on Cummins Highway at Greenfield Road. Robbery is believed to be the motive.

Police also are probing a shooting Thursday in the Top Notch Barbershop in Roxbury. Randall Lewis, 17, of Roxbury was charged, arraigned in Roxbury District Court, and held at the Nashua Street Jail. Two victims were taken to Boston Medical Center. A spokeswoman declined to comment on their conditions.

In Dorchester, the Barros family spent much of yesterday greeting friends and family at their home on Mount Ida Road. Adilson Barros, who worked part time as a parking lot attendant at Gillette Stadium, had spent most of Friday at home. He had gone to get a shave and a haircut at a neighborhood barbershop. “He told my mother that he was going to have a few drinks with friends, and he would be right back.”

An only son and the third of four children, Barros was close to his parents, his sister said. “He was my mother’s angel,” she said, crying. “He would do anything for her. He made her soup when she was sick. He wouldn’t let us do it. He’d say, ‘I’m taking care of Mom.’”

Kathy McCabe can be reached at kmccabe@globe.com.