You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

World

Kofi Annan departs Syria without cease-fire

Annan, Assad meet two times with no progress

LOUAI BESHARA/AFP/Getty Images

“You have to start by stopping the killing and the misery and the abuse that is going on today,” Kofi Annan said.

BEIRUT - An international push to end Syria’s conflict stalled Sunday as United Nations envoy Kofi Annan left Damascus without a cease-fire and President Bashar Assad’s forces pounded opposition areas and clashed with rebels throughout the country.

Western and Arab powers are struggling to stem the bloodshed in the year-old conflict while both the regime and the opposition reject dialogue. Annan, the former UN secretary general, appeared to make little progress during two visits with Assad during his first trip to Syria as the joint UN-Arab League envoy.

Continue reading below

Annan was seeking an immediate cease-fire to allow for humanitarian aid and the start of a dialogue between all parties on a political solution. After meeting with Assad on Sunday, Annan said he had presented steps to ease the crisis but gave no details.

“Once it’s agreed, it will help launch the process and help end the crisis on the ground,’’ Annan told reporters. He called for “reforms that will create a strong foundation for a democratic Syria - a peaceful, stable, pluralistic, and prosperous society, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights.’’

But Annan said a cease-fire must come first.

“You have to start by stopping the killing and the misery and the abuse that is going on today and then give time for a political settlement,’’ he said.

Assad told Annan on Sunday that a political solution is impossible as long as “terrorist groups’’ threaten the country, according to Syria’s state news service - which reported identical comments after the men met Saturday. The regime blames the uprising on armed groups acting out a foreign conspiracy.

Continue reading below

Annan’s calls for reform also fall short of opposition calls for Assad’s ouster and the end of his authoritarian regime. Opposition leaders say the thousands killed by his security forces, many while protesting peacefully, mean they will accept nothing less.

“It’s going to be difficult, but we have to have hope,’’ Annan said before leaving for Qatar.

On Sunday, government troops shelled areas in and around the northern city of Idlib, activists said, part of a campaign launched a day earlier to crush the opposition in its stronghold along the border with Turkey. In some areas they clashed with rebels fighting as the loose-knit Free Syrian Army.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on activists throughout Syria, said 16 civilians had been killed in attacks by Syrian forces or in clashes with rebels in Idlib province. More than five government soldiers were also killed.

Artillery was reported pounding border villages, and residents of Turkey said they saw Syrian refugees crossing during lulls.

The conflict has become increasingly bloody during the year since protesters in some impoverished provinces first took to the streets to call for political reform. The government cracked down hard, and protests spread, with some in the opposition taking up arms to attack government troops and defend their towns and neighborhoods.

The United Nations says more than 7,500 people have been killed. Assad’s regime and military have remained largely intact while the opposition, though disorganized, shows no sign of relenting on its demands. Few expect a swift resolution.

The renewed violence has sent about 1,000 Syrians across the border in the past week, as many as fled during the previous month, a Turkish official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity under government protocol.

Turkey now hosts about 12,500 Syrians, some of the more than 100,000 refugees who have fled to Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan.

Many fear the offensive in Idlib could end up like the regime’s campaign against the rebel-held neighborhood of Baba Amr in the central city of Homs. Troops besieged and shelled Baba Amr for almost a month before capturing it on March 1.

Activists say hundreds were killed, and a UN official who visited the area last week said she was horrified by the destruction in the nearly deserted district.

Activists said Syrian forces targeted other Homs neighborhoods on Sunday with shells and rocket-propelled grenades.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week