BAGHDAD — A lone suicide bomber turned a tent full of Turkmen funeral mourners into a mass killing ground Wednesday, leaving at least 35 people dead, regional officials and tribal leaders said, calling it a genocidal attack meant to stoke sectarian tensions.
Both the dead and the 117 wounded victims included a number of high-ranking regional dignitaries and religious men among the Turkmen population in Salehedden Province, an area in the Kurdish north also claimed by Arabs and Turkmens. It came a day after an extended outbreak of sectarian shootings and bombings in the country.
Mourners had been paying respects to a Turkmen worker of the Ministry of Health who had been killed in the mayhem the day before, the brother-in-law of a deputy in the Iraqi Turkmen Front.
Turkmen leaders were outraged. ‘‘We demand to have international forces to secure us, for the Turkmen and our areas,’’ said Faid Alla, the head of a Turkmen tribe. “We are under genocide.’’
New York Times