You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

World

Russia still against US missile defense

MOSCOW — A top Russian diplomat says the United States’ cancellation of a critical part of its European missile defense system plan does not mollify Moscow’s opposition.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel last week announced that plans to place long-range missile interceptors in Poland in the final stage of its European system are being abandoned. US officials, however, stress that plans are on track to deploy shorter-range interceptors to Poland and Romania within the next five years.

Continue reading below

The long-range interceptors were to have been the final phase of a program that Russia contends aims to counter its own missiles. Washington says the system is meant to stop missiles from Iran and North Korea.

Polish officials were saying almost nothing about the change Monday, a possible indication that they are relieved that shorter-range missiles, at least, will still be deployed to Poland in the next five years. Romanians also have not complained, noting that US missile defense interceptors will be deployed there in 2015, as planned.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov of Russia was quoted by the Kommersant newspaper Monday as saying: ‘‘We feel no euphoria in connection with what was announced by the US defense secretary, and we see no grounds for correcting our position.’’

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week