You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Italian court considers new trial for American in killing

Exchange student was convicted then acquitted

ROME — Italy’s highest court heard six hours of arguments Monday on whether American student Amanda Knox should face a new trial in the killing of her British roommate.

With Knox waiting anxiously in Seattle to hear if her long legal battle will end, the court said it would announce a decision Tuesday on whether the 2011 acquittals of Knox and her Italian former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito will stand.

Continue reading below

Italian prosecutors have asked the high court to throw out the acquittals of Knox and Sollecito in the killing of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher and order a new trial.

The court normally issues the decisions the same day it hears arguments, but prosecutor general Luigio Riello said that ‘‘in very complex cases,’’ the court takes another day.

Lawyers for Sollecito declined to speculate on what the delay could mean. Their client was not in the courtroom Monday.

Sollecito’s father was calm about the development. ‘‘We have waited so many years, one night is not going to make a difference,’’ Francesco Sollecito said outside the courthouse.

One of Knox’s lawyers, Luciano Ghirga, said as he arrived at Italy’s Court of Cassation in Rome that Knox was monitoring the developments.

Knox, now 25, and Raffaele Sollecito, who turns 29 on Tuesday, were arrested in 2007, shortly after Kercher’s body was found in her bedroom in the apartment she shared with the American and others in Perugia, where they were exchange students. Her throat had been slashed.

Prosecutors alleged that Kercher was the victim of a drug-fueled sexual assault. Knox and Sollecito have maintained their innocence.

Knox and Sollecito were convicted and given long prison sentences: 26 years for Knox, 25 for Sollecito. But an appeals court acquitted them in 2011, criticizing virtually the entire case mounted by prosecutors. The court noted that the weapon was never found and said DNA tests were faulty.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.