You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

World

Red Sox Live

2

2

▼  4th Inning 0 outs

President Bashar Assad cuts rebel prison terms

A Syrian boy held a satellite antenna as he traveled on the back of a truck in Aleppo on Monday. Some 1.3 million people have so far fled Syria since the start of the conflict.

Dimitar Dilkoff/AFP/Getty Images

A Syrian boy held a satellite antenna as he traveled on the back of a truck in Aleppo on Monday. Some 1.3 million people have so far fled Syria since the start of the conflict.

DAMASCUS — Syrian President Bashar Assad on Tuesday slashed prison terms by three quarters for an unspecified number of rebels convicted as ‘‘terrorists,’’ as battles raged around the airport of Aleppo, the country’s largest city.

Assad also used a presidential decree to reduce the sentences of an unknown number of convicted criminals ahead of the country’s independence day, state media reported. The Syrian leader has made similar gestures since the country’s two-year-old crisis began, including pardons for those convicted of acts against the state.

Continue reading below

The opposition has dismissed such decrees as political theater, saying that many dissidents remain in Syrian jails. The government denies there is an uprising in the country and refers to rebels as terrorists carrying out a foreign conspiracy.

Syria does not disclose statistics on prisoners, although its jails are believed to hold tens of thousands, including thousands of political prisoners. State TV quoted Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi as saying that the pardon will lead to the release of about 7,000 people who committed different types of crimes.

On Monday, a Syria-based human rights group said in a report that the military unit in charge of protecting Damascus is holding hundreds of suspected regime opponents in secret prisons. The claims could not be independently confirmed, but several rights groups say thousands of opposition members, protesters, and their families have been detained since the revolt against Assad’s rule began in March 2011.

Tuesday’s presidential decree is also to include those convicted of criminal acts before April 16, state TV and the official news agency said. Convicts on death row would have their sentences reduced to life imprisonment with hard labor, while those with incurable diseases or advanced age would be pardoned. It also renewed a call for rebels to turn over their weapons, saying those who do so will be pardoned.

The move came as the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said rebels launched an attack on the Wadi Deif and Hamidiya military bases in the northwestern province of Idlib. The bases had previously been under a months-long rebel siege.

State TV quoted Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi as saying that the pardon will lead to the release of about 7,000 people who committed different types of crimes.

Quote Icon

On Saturday, government forces punched through the blockade and reopened a supply line to the area after they killed more than 20 rebels in an ambush. During the siege, the military had been forced to drop supplies in by helicopter because rebels controlled the surrounding area.

The Observatory also reported heavy fighting around the international airport in Aleppo, Syria’s commercial capital. It said there were casualties on both sides but did not have any immediate figures.

Rebels have been trying for months to capture the facility, which has been closed to flights because of the fighting.

Aleppo itself has been carved into rebel- and regime-held zones since anti-Assad fighters launched an offensive on the city last summer. Shelling, bombings, and fierce clashes have left much of the city — once considered one of Syria’s most beautiful — a mass of shattered buildings and rubble.

On Tuesday, the Syrian Red Crescent recovered 31 bodies in the Aleppo neighborhoods of Sakhour and Midan, according to the Aleppo Media Center activist group. The Observatory also reported the discovery of 31 bodies in the same location.

Both groups said the dead had been killed by snipers in recent months, but because of the location of the bodies they couldn’t be retrieved for burial until now.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week