You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

World

Bangladesh official says collapse that killed 500 wasn’t ‘really serious’

A woman held a photo of her sister, who has been missing since the factory collapse near Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Ismail Ferdous/Associated Press

A woman held a photo of her sister, who has been missing since the factory collapse near Dhaka, Bangladesh.

DHAKA, Bangladesh — Bangladesh’s finance minister downplayed the impact of last week’s factory-building collapse on his country’s garment industry, saying Friday he didn’t think it was ‘‘really serious’’ hours after the 500th body was pulled from the debris.

Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith spoke as the government cracked down on those it blamed for the disaster in the Dhaka suburb of Savar. It suspended Savar’s mayor and arrested an engineer who had called for the building’s evacuation last week, but was also accused of helping the owner add three illegal floors to the eight-story structure. The building owner was arrested earlier.

Continue reading below

The government appears to be attempting to fend off accusations that it is in part to blame for the tragedy because of weak oversight of the building’s construction.

During a visit to New Delhi, Muhith said the disaster would not harm Bangladesh’s garment industry, which is India’s biggest source of export income.

‘‘The present difficulties . . . well, I don’t think it is really serious — it’s an accident,’’ he said. ‘‘And the steps that we have taken in order to make sure that it doesn’t happen, they are quite elaborate and I believe that it will be appreciated by all.’’

The government made similar promises after a garment factory fire five months ago that killed 112, saying it would inspect factories for safety and pull the licenses of those that failed. That plan has yet to be implemented.

Asked if he was worried that foreign retailers might pull orders from his country, Muhith said he wasn’t: ‘‘These are individual cases of . . . accidents. It happens everywhere.’’

Continue reading below

Muhith, a longtime government official from a prominent family, has been criticized for insensitive comments in the past — even by his own party. Last year when thousands of small investors lost their savings and poured into the streets seeking government intervention, Muhith said it wasn’t responsible and the investors were at fault.

The official death toll from the April 24 collapse reached 519 Friday and was expected to climb, making it probably the deadliest garment factory accident in world history. It surpassed disasters such as New York’s Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire, which killed 146 workers in 1911, and the 2012 fire that killed about 260 people in Pakistan and one in Bangladesh that same year that killed 112.

At the site of the collapse, workers carefully used cranes to remove the concrete rubble and continue the slow task of recovering bodies. The official number of missing has been 149 since Wednesday, though unofficial estimates are higher.

‘‘We are still proceeding cautiously so that we get the bodies intact,’’ said Major General Chowdhury Hassan Suhwardy, the commander of the area’s army garrison supervising the rescue operation.

A government investigator said Friday that substandard building materials,along with the vibration of the heavy machines used by the five garment factories inside the Rana Plaza building, led to the collapse.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week