KABUL — A truck bomb Monday killed three coalition service members in southern Afghanistan, NATO said in a statement. A local official said the attack targeted a base operated by troops from the former Soviet republic of Georgia.
Omer Zawak, spokesman for the governor of the southern Helmand Province, said the truck bomb exploded at the entrance to the Georgian outpost in the Musa Qala district of the province, one of the most volatile regions of Afghanistan.
The deaths brought the number of soldiers from Georgia killed in Afghanistan to 22. Georgia has about 1,600 troops in Afghanistan, the largest non-NATO contingent there. Georgian soldiers are under NATO’s command.
Also in southern Afghanistan Monday, a roadside bomb ripped through a bus, killing 10 civilians, most of them women and children, officials said.
Kandahar Province’s police chief, General Abdul Raziq, said the blast wounded another 12 people in Maroof district, northeast of Kandahar city.
Insurgents plant land mines and roadside bombs in the south and the east of the country to target Afghan and international troops, but civilians often are killed or injured as a result.
A Taliban spokesman said Monday that the four remaining Turkish nationals among a group of 11 people abducted last month by the militant group would be released soon.
An e-mail statement from Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahed said the earlier release of another four Turks was intended as a ‘‘goodwill gesture’’ and the remaining four Turks still in their possession would be freed shortly.
He did not make any reference to the Afghan translator and two pilots — one from Russia and one from Kyrgyzstan — who were captured along with the eight Turks.