You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

World

Koreas start factory talks

Delegates discuss joint operation shut amid tensions

SEOUL — Delegates from North and South Korea held talks Saturday on restarting a stalled joint factory park that had been a symbol of cooperation between the bitter rivals, but there was no word on whether any significant progress had been made as discussions went into the night.

The Kaesong industrial zone, just north of the Demilitarized Zone dividing the two Koreas, was the centerpiece of inter-Korean projects hatched during a previous era of warming ties. But it was closed in April as tensions rose when South Korea held military exercises with US troops not far from the border.

Continue reading below

North Korea pulled its 53,000 workers out of the park, and South Korea then ordered its managers to leave as well, against their wishes.

Representatives from the two sides met Saturday in the truce village of Panmunjom inside the DMZ for working-level talks. A delegate from South Korea’s Unification Ministry, which is in charge of relations with the North, said before leaving Seoul that the sides would discuss retrieving products the South Korean managers left behind at the complex and inspecting the facilities. They also agreed to discuss restarting work at the park.

The talks started just before noon, and were still going Saturday evening.

South Korean businessman Han Jae-kwon, president of an emergency committee for restarting the park, said he was watching for news on the talks’ results at his home in the southern city of Daegu.

‘‘I hope they could narrow their differences,’’ he said.

The park, which brought together North Korean labor and South Korean capital, resulted in nearly $2 billion a year in cross-border trade before its shutdown. It was the last remaining joint project between the two Koreas as relations soured over the past five years.

As the park remained shuttered, South Korean businesses that operated in Kaesong sought rescue funds from the government. Some South Korean businesspeople who were forced to leave their Kaesong factories behind sent a message to government officials as they headed to the talks Saturday, holding placards that read ‘‘We want to work.’’

The closure meant a loss of salary for tens of thousands of North Korean workers employed in factories run by 123 South Korean companies, and a loss of goods and orders for business managers who relied on Kaesong to churn out everything from shoes and watches to cables and electrical components.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week