10 killed in blaze at Quebec home for retirees

Quebec firefighters struggled with frigid temperatures to search for elderly people still missing in a L’Isle-Verte fire.
Remi Senechal/AFP/Getty Images
Quebec firefighters struggled with frigid temperatures to search for elderly people still missing in a L’Isle-Verte fire.

Crews on Saturday recovered two more bodies as they struggled with frigid temperatures and ice as thick as two feet to search the ruins of a burned-out Quebec retirement home. Ten bodies of the 32 presumed dead have been recovered.

A massive blaze swept through the three-story building in L’Isle-Verte, about 140 miles northeast of Quebec City early Thursday. Quebec Provincial Police lowered the number of missing from about 30 to 22 based on more detailed information.

‘‘The 24 people that are still missing, I think we can assume the worst. We’re not going to confirm any deaths until we’ve actually recovered the remains,’’ Lapointe said.


The coroner’s office identified two of the victims as Juliette Saindon, 95, and Marie-Laureat Dube, 82.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The cause of the blaze that burned down the Residence du Havre was under investigation, and police asked the public for any videos or photos that might hold clues.

Lapointe declined to confirm media reports that the fire began in the room of a resident who was smoking a cigarette, but he said it ‘‘is one hypothesis among many.’’

‘‘When you conduct an investigation of this magnitude, you have to determine all the facts and not simply just one or two in order to achieve a conclusion,’’ he said.

Frigid temperatures continued to hamper the search, with Lapointe saying ice in certain places was as thick as two feet.


Search teams brought in equipment normally used to de-ice ships that pushes out very hot air.

‘‘You can imagine how difficult it is to go through the ice, melt it, and do it in a way that we preserve the integrity of potential victims,’’ he said. ‘‘So it’s very difficult work again today. It’s very cold.’’

On Friday, teams of police, firefighters, and coroners slowly and methodically picked their way through the ruins, working in shifts in the extreme cold with temperatures hovering around minus 4 degrees.

As crews used steam to melt thick sheets of ice coating the rubble, Marc-Henri Saindon waited for his mother’s body to be recovered. Marie-Jeanne Gagnon, five months shy of her 100th birthday, had moved to the home on New Year’s Eve, her son said.

‘‘She really liked it there. She was well treated and she had friends there,’’ Saindon said.


Witnesses told horrific tales of people trapped and killed by the flames. Many of the 50 or so residents were over 85 and used wheelchairs or walkers. Some had Alzheimer’s disease.

Pascal Fillion, who lives nearby, said he saw someone use a ladder to try to rescue a man cornered on his third-floor balcony. The man was crying out for help before he fell to the ground, engulfed in flames, Fillion said.

‘‘I lost my friends,’’ said Nicole Belanger, who worked at the home part-time for the past four years. ‘‘The residents loved us and we loved them.’’

Quebec Minister of Social Services Veronique Hivon said many of the village’s volunteer firefighters had relatives at the retirement home. ‘‘People are in a state of shock,’’ she said. ‘‘We want them to know the services are there by going door to door. It’s an important building that’s a part of their community that just disappeared.’’

Hivon said that the home was up to code and had a proper evacuation plan.

A Quebec Health Department document indicated that the home, which has operated since 1997, had only a partial sprinkler system. The facility expanded in about 2002, and the sprinklers in the new section of the building triggered the alarm.