Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

4 more S. Korea ferry crewmembers detained

A monk led a prayer session at an area where relatives of the victims of the South Korean ferry disaster are gathered.

AFP/Getty Images

A monk led a prayer session at an area where relatives of the victims of the South Korean ferry disaster are gathered.

MOKPO, South Korea — A South Korean prosecutor says four more crewmembers from a sunken ferry have been detained on allegations of failing to protect passengers.

Senior prosecutor Ahn Sang-don told reporters Monday that two first mates, one second mate and a chief engineer are also accused of abandoning the ship.

Continue reading below

Ahn says prosecutors are considering whether to ask a court for a formal arrest warrant that would allow for a longer period of investigation. South Koreans can only be detained for 48 hours without a court-issued formal arrest warrant.

The ferry’s captain and two other crewmembers were previously formally arrested on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need.

Sixty-four bodies have been recovered, and about 240 people are still missing.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week