VATICAN CITY — Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston said Saturday that Pope Francis’ sexual abuse advisory board will develop ‘‘clear and effective’’ protocols to hold bishops and other church authorities accountable if they fail to report suspected abuse or protect children from pedophile priests.
Victims groups have long criticized the Vatican for refusing to sanction any bishop or superior who covered up for priests who raped and molested children. They have listed accountability as one of the key issues facing Francis and a key test for his new advisory board.
Francis announced the creation of the commission last December and named its members in March after coming under initial criticism for having ignored the sex abuse issue. The commission’s eight members — four of whom are women — met for the first time last week at the pope’s Vatican hotel to discuss the scope of their work and future members.
Briefing reporters Saturday, O’Malley said current church laws could hold bishops accountable if they fail to do their jobs to protect children. But he said those laws hadn’t been sufficient to date and new protocols were needed.
‘‘Obviously our concern is to make sure that there are clear and effective protocols to deal with the situations where superiors of the church have not fulfilled their obligations to protect children,’’ O’Malley said.
That could include an effort toward creating an ‘‘open process’’ that ‘‘would hold people accountable for their responsibility to protect children,’’ he said.
The panel also will make recommendations to the pope on ways to better educate the clergy about child abuse and its consequences.
O’Malley said the board would not deal with specific cases of child abuse, and the protocols will not necessarily relate to child abuse laws in specific countries. A timetable for completing the recommendations has not been decided on.
Victims groups have long criticized the Vatican for refusing to systematically discipline clerics who covered up reports of sex abuse.
O’Malley’s predecessor in Boston, Cardinal Bernard Law, resigned as archbishop after the sex abuse scandal exploded publicly there in 2002. But Pope John Paul II then appointed Law archpriest of one of the Vatican’s four major basilicas in Rome.
Another US bishop remains in office despite having been convicted of misdemeanor failure to report suspected child abuse.
Francis’ new advisory board said in a concluding statement that church accountability is ‘‘especially important’’ to the members and that in their founding statutes they would emphasize the ‘‘devastating consequences’’ for victims when suspected abuse is not reported.
Marie Collins, a committee member and Irish survivor of sexual abuse, said she came away from the inaugural meeting of the commission ‘‘hopeful’’ primarily because the issue of accountability was addressed straight on.
‘‘I know there are many survivors around the world who are hoping, and have great expectations of this commission,’’ Collins said. ‘‘And what I can say so far is you can’t make concrete promises. But as a survivor myself, I am hopeful that we are going to achieve what is hoped for. It’s very, very important.’’
‘As a survivor myself, I am hopeful that we are going to achieve what is hoped for.’
O’Malley said another area that the commission would address is giving advice to national bishops’ conferences to improve their own guidelines for handling abuse cases. Recently, the Italian bishops’ conference released their guidelines and said they had no legal obligation to report suspected abuse to police.
The commission met on the eve of a UN committee meeting in Geneva in which the Vatican is expected to come under a second round of criticism for its handling of abuse.
A UN committee monitoring implementation of a key treaty on children’s rights blasted the Holy See earlier this year, accusing it of systematically placing its own interests over those of victims by enabling priests to rape and molest tens of thousands of children through its own policies and code of silence.