Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Israel pounds Gaza as teenagers are mourned

Netanyahu vows consequences, says ‘Hamas will pay’

Bat-Galim Shaar (front right), and Iris Yifrach (front second right), mothers of two of the  Israeli teens abducted and killed, mourned during the joint funeral of their sons Tuesday.

Baz Ratner/pool

Bat-Galim Shaar (front right), and Iris Yifrach (front second right), mothers of two of the Israeli teens abducted and killed, mourned during the joint funeral of their sons Tuesday.

JERUSALEM — Tens of thousands of Israelis gathered Tuesday for a funeral service for three teenagers whose bodies were found Monday, more than two weeks after they disappeared in a kidnapping that Israel says was carried out by the militant Islamist group Hamas.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated his vows to punish the Palestinian group, which runs the Gaza Strip and has denied involvement in the June 12 abduction and subsequent killings. He summoned his security Cabinet Tuesday night to discuss Israel’s response, hours after Israeli aircraft pounded dozens of targets in Gaza.

Continue reading below

Speaking a day after the teens’ bodies were discovered in a field near the West Bank city of Hebron, Netanyahu pledged that everyone involved in the crime ‘‘will bear the consequences.’’ He said Israeli forces, which have arrested nearly 400 alleged terror operatives and killed at least five Palestinians during a more than two-week search, would ‘‘vigorously strike at Hamas members and infrastructure’’ in Gaza and the Israeli-occupied West Bank. ‘‘If need be, we will expand the campaign,’’ he warned.

‘‘Hamas is responsible,’’ the prime minister said at the start the meeting. ‘‘Hamas will pay, and Hamas will continue to pay.’’

Netanyahu faced renewed pressure Tuesday to avenge the teens’ death, including from his hard-line foreign minister, who called for a ground invasion in Gaza. But those calls were relatively muted as Israelis focused on mourning the teens, whose deaths sparked a nationwide outpouring of outrage and grief.

Naftali Fraenkel, 16, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Eyal Yifrach, 19, disappeared while making their way home from their religious schools in the tense West Bank. Fraenkel was a dual US-Israeli citizen. The three were buried together in a cemetery in the city of Modiin, halfway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, in a service at which Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres spoke.

‘‘We prayed, each of us alone and all of us together, for a miracle,’’ Peres said. ‘‘Sadly we were hit by the tragedy of their murder, and a deep grief enveloped our people.’’

Earlier in the day, the teens’ families held separate eulogies in their home communities and then accompanied the bodies to the public funeral, which thousands of Israelis streamed to in shuttles. In Nof Ayalon, the small town where Fraenkel lived with his family, his father, Avraham, spoke through tears.

‘‘Even though you are not here in body with us, you will be with us all the time,’’ he said. ‘‘Naftali, Gilad, Eyal, you were killed for being Jews, that was the only reason you were killed.’’

The Israeli police released a recording Tuesday of Gilad Shaar’s call to emergency services, which appeared to have been made minutes after he and the other two teens got into their kidnappers’ car.

On the recording, which emergency authorities initially dismissed as a prank, Shaar says, ‘‘I’ve been kidnapped.’’

An operator says, ‘‘Hello?,’’ before a voice speaking Arabic-accented Hebrew says, ‘‘Keep your heads down.’’ As an Israeli radio station broadcasts the voice of a politician in the background, there are sounds of struggle. The operator then repeatedly says, ‘‘Hello?’’

Some media outlets in Israel reported that gunshots can be heard — suggesting the teens were killed in the car — but Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said security agencies that assessed the recording made no such conclusion.

Rosenfeld said the discovery over the weekend of a pair of glasses belonging to one of the teens helped authorities to narrow the search.

The Israeli military pressed on Tuesday with its largest and most aggressive security sweep in the West Bank in decades, searching for two suspects it says carried out the abduction and murders. Israeli officials have said the suspects, Marwan Kawasmeh, 29, and Amer Abu Aysha, 33, are both operatives of Hamas, which is considered a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States, and the European Union.

On Tuesday, the Israeli military blew up the entrances to and raided the homes of the two men, who have not been seen since the night the teenagers went missing.

Israeli authorities have said both have spent time in Israeli prisons.

Overnight, a military spokesman said, soldiers made three additional arrests in the West Bank; Palestinian media reported that a 16-year-old was killed during the raid.

Earlier, the Israeli air force carried out what it called a ‘‘precision strike’’ against 34 Hamas targets in Gaza. The army said more than 20 rockets were fired into Israel from Gaza since late Sunday, with another barrage reported Tuesday evening.

The incident has inflamed tensions between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, which is based in and controls about 10 percent of the West Bank. Netanyahu has criticized Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ recent move to form a transitional Palestinian unity government backed by Hamas.

Palestinian officials, meanwhile, have condemned Israel for carrying out what they say is ‘‘collective punishment’’ against hundreds of Palestinians.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com