Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Negotiations to extend Gaza cease-fire begin

Delegations take hard-line stance, air complaints

CAIRO — Indirect Israeli-Palestinian negotiations about extending a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip and ending a blockade of the battered territory got underway in Cairo on Wednesday, with both sides taking hard-line positions and much jockeying expected ahead.

Israel wants the Islamic militant group Hamas to disarm, or at least ensure it cannot re-arm, before considering the group’s demand that the territory’s borders be opened. Israel and Egypt imposed a closure after the Hamas takeover of Gaza in 2007, although Egypt allows individuals to cross intermittently.

Continue reading below

‘‘The two sides have reviewed what they consider issues of concern,’’ Egypt’s foreign minister, Sameh Shukri, said at a news conference, describing the matter as ‘‘complicated and not easy.’’

Hazem Abu Shanab, a member of Fatah, one of the main factions involved in the talks, said disarmament would require Israel to pull out from occupied Palestinian territory.

‘‘As long as there is occupation, there will be resistance and there will be weapons,’’ he said. ‘‘The armament is linked to the occupation.’’

Egyptian mediators have been shuttling between the delegations. An Egyptian airport official said the Israelis were back in Cairo on Wednesday evening after flying out earlier in the day. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters.

Meanwhile, in Jerusalem, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended Israel’s intense bombardment of Gaza, saying that despite the high civilian death toll it was a ‘‘justified’’ and ‘‘proportionate’’ response to Hamas attacks.

Speaking to international journalists, Netanyahu presented video footage he said showed militants firing rockets from areas near schools and Hamas deploying civilians as human shields.

‘‘Our enemy is Hamas, our enemies are the other terrorist organizations trying to kill our people, and we have taken extraordinary measures to avoid civilian casualties,’’ he said.

Nearly 1,900 Palestinians have been killed in the fighting, three-quarters of them civilians, according to the United Nations. Israel says some 900 Palestinian militants were among the dead. Sixty-four Israeli soldiers and three civilians inside Israel have also been killed.

The Palestinian delegation in Cairo is composed of negotiators from all major factions, including Hamas, and is meeting with Egypt’s intelligence chief for briefings on Israel’s demands.

‘‘The most important thing to us is removing the blockade and starting to reconstruct Gaza,’’ said Bassam Salhi, a Palestinian delegate. ‘‘There can be no deal without that.’’

Shukri said he hoped the cease-fire, set to expire at 8 a.m. Friday, would be extended, and an Egyptian security official said Cairo was pressing Israel for an extension.

There has been no official Israeli response, though an official at Netanyahu’s office said Israel has ‘‘no problem’’ with ‘‘unconditional extensions of the cease-fire.’’ He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Izzat al-Rishq, a senior Hamas member, told the Palestinian news agency that the delegation has yet to receive an answer to their demands and would condition acceptance of an extended cease-fire on how the talks progress. ‘‘Our finger is on the trigger,’’ he said.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com