World

Egypt bars entry for 2 staff members of Human Rights Watch

In this image from August 2013, Egyptian security forces detained protesters as they cleared a sit-in by supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi in Cairo.

Ahmed Gomaa/Associated Press/File

In this image from August 2013, Egyptian security forces detained protesters as they cleared a sit-in by supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi in Cairo.

CAIRO — Security officials have refused to allow two senior staff members from the New York-based advocacy group Human Rights Watch to enter Egypt, where the two were due to release the findings of the group’s yearlong investigation into mass killings of protesters carried out by Egyptian government forces last summer.

The group’s executive director, Kenneth Roth, and the director of the Middle East and North Africa division, Sarah Leah Whitson, said Monday that officials at Cairo International Airport ordered them deported soon after they arrived from New York via Paris on Sunday. It was the first time Egyptian authorities had denied entry to employees of Human Rights Watch, Whitson said.

Advertisement

Airport officials did not provide a specific reason for the deportation but wrapped a form around Whitson’s passport and checked a box that said, “For security reasons.”

The decision signaled government anxiety over the report, which examines state-led violence following the military ouster last summer of Egypt’s first elected civilian president, Mohammed Morsi, a leader of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood. The investigation is focused on the events of Aug. 14, 2013, when security forces brutally dispersed a large sit-in of Morsi’s supporters held near the Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque in Cairo.

Get Todays Headlines in your inbox:
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Over the course of that day, riot officers and soldiers killed more than 800 protesters — the prime minister at the time has said that nearly a thousand were killed — in the worst mass killing in modern Egyptian history. No security or government officials have been prosecuted in the killings, which set off a period of sustained civil conflict and government repression that has included the arrests of tens of thousands of people, including Islamists and leftist political activists.

Roth said the killings at Rabaa, which were “on par with the Tiananmen massacre,” were “ordered and permitted” by the top officials in the military-backed government, whose de facto leader at the time was Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, Egypt’s current president. The report is scheduled to be released Tuesday.

The deportations Sunday seemed certain to intensify concerns about the disappearing space for free expression in Egypt. Human rights workers and civil society advocates have described an atmosphere that has grown more stifling than under Egypt’s last authoritarian leader, Hosni Mubarak, who was deposed in a popular uprising in 2011.

Advertisement

Under Mubarak, “we had an open-door policy and an office here,” Whitson said. The group closed its office in Egypt earlier this year.

Loading comments...
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.