World

Prosecutor: Failed Paris car bomb plotted by IS-guided women

PARIS — A failed car bombing in the heart of Paris was hatched by a group of French women, including one once engaged to men who had already killed in the name of the Islamic State group, France’s top antiterrorism prosecutor said Friday.

The hunt to find the women, whom authorities said were guided from Syria, had been ‘‘a race against time’’ before they could strike again, said Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, overseeing the fight against extremists who have killed more than 200 in France in 10 months.

Advertisement

The Thursday night arrests linked three attacks — the failed car bomb near Notre Dame Cathedral, the killing of two police near Paris in June, and the stabbing death of a French priest in July — and marked a new phase in the Islamic State group’s efforts to sow fear in Europe.

‘‘There’s a group that has been annihilated, but there are others,’’ said President Francois Hollande.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com