World
    Next Score View the next score

    Dueling factions in Venezuela stake claim to powers

    CARACAS — Progovernment and antigovernment factions dug themselves further into their trenches Monday amid Venezuela’s deepening political crisis, with each side staking a claim to the powers granted them by dueling national assemblies.

    The new chief prosecutor who replaced an outspoken government critic outlined plans for restructuring the Public Ministry, and the opposition-controlled National Assembly vowed to continue meeting at the stately legislative palace — a short walk across a plaza from where the all-powerful constitutional assembly is expected to hold its next meeting Tuesday.

    National Assembly president Julio Borges told fellow lawmakers they should keep an active presence in the building despite threats from the new assembly to swiftly strip them of any authority and lock up key leaders. Borges called the building, with its gold cupola, the ‘‘symbol of popular sovereignty.’’

    Advertisement

    ‘‘We are a testament to the fight for democracy,’’ he said at a meeting cobbled together amid mounting uncertainty about the legislature’s future. ‘‘It should be known this assembly was true to its mandate.’’

    Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
    The day's top stories delivered every morning.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    In theory, both the National Assembly and the progovernment constitutional assembly can rule simultaneously, but the new super body created through a July 30 election that drew international condemnation has the authority to trump any other branch of government.

    Since its installation Friday, it has signaled that it will act swiftly in response to President Nicolas Maduro’s commands, which have included stripping legislators of their constitutional immunity.

    Diosdado Cabello, a constitutional assembly member and a leader of the socialist party, said the new body would be in power for ‘‘at least two years.’’ He defended initial decrees to oust top law enforcement officer Luisa Ortega Diaz and create a ‘‘truth commission’’ that will wield unusual authority to prosecute those suspected of fueling recent political unrest.

    Cabello said the decisions all aligned strictly with the 1999 constitution crafted by the late President Hugo Chavez.

    Advertisement

    ‘‘This is a completely legal process,’’ he said.

    Ortega Diaz’s replacement, Ombudsman Tarek William Saab, who was recently sanctioned by Washington for failing to protect protesters from abuses in his role as the nation’s top human rights official, appeared on state television to both chastise the leader of the agency he will oversee and announce his plans to revamp it.

    He criticized Ortega Diaz for ‘‘fanning the flames’’ of political conflict in Venezuela and said he would proceed with a ‘‘logical restructuring’’ of an office he deemed overly political and bureaucratic.

    Ortega Diaz is not recognizing Saab as attorney general, and opposition leaders and foreign dignitaries have said they will not acknowledge him as Venezuela’s chief prosecutor.

    The widening political gulf comes as opposition parties face a rapidly approaching deadline to declare whether or not they will take part in scheduled December regional elections.

    Advertisement

    Opposition members refused to participate in the election for delegates to the constitutional assembly but have thus far been divided on whether or not to take part in the upcoming vote for governors.

    While Maduro’s popular support is estimated to run at no higher than 20 percent, some opposition leaders are skeptical of running in an election they fear could be rigged. The official turnout count in the July 30 election for the constitutional assembly is being questioned at home and abroad.

    The chief executive of voting technology company Smartmatic said last week that the results were ‘‘without a doubt’’ tampered with and off by at least 1 million votes.

    On Sunday, a band of 20 antigovernment fighters attacked an army base in an apparent attempt to foment an uprising. The men managed to reach the barracks’ weapons supply. Ten escaped, two were killed, another was injured, and the remaining seven battled with soldiers for three hours before being captured, Maduro said.

    In his weekly broadcast, Maduro said the men would get the ‘‘maximum penalty.’’

    Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez characterized the attackers as a ‘‘paramilitary’’ expedition, saying the intruders were civilians dressed in uniforms.

    He did not identify any of them but said they included a lieutenant who had abandoned his post.