World

2015 letter belies pope’s claim of ignorance on priest abuse allegations

Pope Francis walks to his studio at the Vatican, Monday, Feb. 5, 2018. Pope Francis received a victim’s letter in 2015 that graphically detailed how a priest sexually abused him and how other Chilean clergy ignored it, contradicting the pope’s recent insistence that no victims had come forward to denounce the cover-up, the letter's author and members of Francis’ own sex- abuse commission have told The Associated Press. (Alessandro Di Meo/Pool photo via AP)
Alessandro Di Meo/Pool photo via AP
Pope Francis walked to his studio at the Vatican on Monday.

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis received a victim’s letter in 2015 that graphically detailed how a priest sexually abused him and how other Chilean clergy ignored it, contradicting the pope’s insistence that no victims had come forward to denounce the coverup, the letter’s author and members of Francis’ sex-abuse commission said.

The fact that Francis received the eight-page letter, which a commission member said was delivered by Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley of Boston, challenges his assertion that he has ‘‘zero tolerance’’ for sex abuse and coverups.

The letter obtained by the Associated Press also calls into question his stated empathy for abuse survivors, compounding the most serious crisis of his five-year papacy.

Advertisement

The scandal exploded last month when Francis’ trip to South America was marred by protests over his vigorous defense of Bishop Juan Barros, who is accused by victims of witnessing and ignoring the abuse by the Rev. Fernando Karadima.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

During the trip, Francis dismissed accusations against Barros as ‘‘slander,’’ seemingly unaware that victims had placed Barros at the scene of Karadima’s crimes.

Catherine Bonnet via AP
Marie Collins handed a letter from Juan Carlos Cruz to Cardinal Sean O'Malley on April 12, 2015.

On the plane home, confronted by an AP reporter, the pope said: ‘‘You, in all good will, tell me that there are victims, but I haven’t seen any, because they haven’t come forward.’’

But members of the pope’s Commission for the Protection of Minors say that in April 2015, they sent a delegation to Rome specifically to hand-deliver a letter to the pope about Barros. The letter from Juan Carlos Cruz detailed the abuse, kissing and fondling he says he suffered, which he said Barros and others saw but did nothing to stop.

Four members of the commission met with O’Malley, the pope’s top abuse adviser, explained their concerns about Francis’ recent appointment of Barros as a bishop in southern Chile, and gave him the letter to deliver to Francis.

Advertisement

‘‘When we gave him [O’Malley] the letter for the pope, he assured us he would give it to the pope and speak of the concerns,’’ then-commission member Marie Collins said. ‘‘And at a later date, he assured us that that had been done.’’

Cruz, who now lives and works in Philadelphia, heard the same later that year.

‘‘Cardinal O’Malley called me after the pope’s visit here in Philadelphia and he told me, among other things, that he had given the letter to the pope — in his hands,’’ he said in an interview at his home Sunday.

Neither the Vatican nor O’Malley responded to multiple requests for comment. O’Malley had no immediate response to a similar request from The Boston Globe.

While the 2015 summit of Francis’ commission was known and publicized at the time, the contents of Cruz’s letter and a photograph of Collins handing it to O’Malley were not disclosed by members.

Advertisement

Cruz provided the letter, and Collins provided the photo, after reading an AP story that reported Francis had claimed to have never heard from any Karadima victims about Barros’s behavior.

The revelation could be costly for Francis, whose track record on the abuse crisis was already shaky after a botched Italian abuse case he intervened in became public.

More recently, he let the abuse commission lapse at the end of last year. Vatican analysts now openly question whether he ‘‘gets it,’’ and some of his own advisers privately acknowledge that maybe he doesn’t.

The Barros affair first caused shockwaves in January 2015 when Francis appointed him bishop of Osorno, Chile, over the objections of the leadership of Chile’s bishops’ conference and many local priests and laity.

They accepted as credible the testimony against Karadima, a prominent Chilean cleric who was sanctioned by the Vatican in 2011 for abusing minors. Barros was a Karadima protege, and according to Cruz and other victims, he witnessed the abuse and did nothing.

‘‘Holy Father, I write you this letter because I’m tired of fighting, of crying and suffering,’’ Cruz wrote in Francis’ native Spanish. ‘‘Our story is well known and there’s no need to repeat it, except to tell you of the horror of having lived this abuse and how I wanted to kill myself.’’

Cruz and other survivors had for years denounced the coverup of Karadima’s crimes, but were dismissed by some in the Chilean church hierarchy and the Vatican’s own ambassador in Santiago, who refused their repeated requests to meet before and after Barros was appointed.

After Francis’ comments backing Barros caused an outcry in Chile, O’Malley issued a strongly worded statement on Jan. 20 reproaching the pope for stating that victims were slandering Barros.

“It is understandable that Pope Francis’ statements yesterday in Santiago, Chile were a source of great pain for survivors of sexual abuse by clergy or any other perpetrator,’’ O’Malley said. He added that such expressions had the effect of abandoning victims and relegating them to ‘‘discredited exile.’’

A day later, Francis apologized for having demanded ‘‘proof’’ of wrongdoing by Barros, saying he meant merely that he wanted to see ‘‘evidence.’’ But he continued to describe the accusations against Barros as ‘‘calumny’’ and insisted he had never heard from any victims.

However, last week the Vatican announced it was sending in its most respected sex-crimes investigator to take testimony from Cruz and others about Barros.

Bishop Juan Barros.
Alessandra Tarantino/Associated Press/file
Bishop Juan Barros.

In the letter to the pope, Cruz begs for Francis to listen to him and make good on his pledge of ‘‘zero tolerance.’’

‘‘Holy Father, it’s bad enough that we suffered such tremendous pain and anguish from the sexual and psychological abuse, but the terrible mistreatment we received from our pastors is almost worse,’’ he wrote.

Cruz goes on to detail in explicit terms the homo-eroticized nature of the circle of priests and young boys around Karadima, the charismatic preacher whose El Bosque community in the well-to-do Santiago neighborhood of Providencia produced dozens of priestly vocations and five bishops, including Barros.

He described how Karadima would kiss Barros and fondle his genitals, and do the same with younger priests and teens, and how young priests and seminarians would fight to sit next to Karadima at the table to receive his affections.

‘‘More difficult and tough was when we were in Karadima’s room and Juan Barros — if he wasn’t kissing Karadima — would watch when Karadima would touch us — the minors — and make us kiss him, saying: ‘Put your mouth near mine and stick out your tongue.’ He would stick his out and kiss us with his tongue,’’ Cruz told the pope.

‘‘Juan Barros was a witness to all this innumerable times, not just with me but with others as well,’’ Cruz wrote

‘‘Juan Barros covered up everything that I have told you,’’ he added.

Barros has repeatedly denied witnessing any abuse or covering it up. ‘‘I never knew anything about, nor ever imagined, the serious abuses which that priest committed against the victims,’’ he said. ‘‘I have never approved of nor participated in such serious, dishonest acts, and I have never been convicted by any tribunal of such things.’’

For the Osorno faithful who have opposed Barros as their bishop, the issue isn’t so much a legal matter requiring proof or evidence, as Barros was a young priest at the time and not in a position of authority over Karadima.

It’s more that if Barros didn’t ‘‘see’’ what was happening around him and recognize it was problematic for a priest to kiss and fondle young boys, he shouldn’t be in charge of a diocese where he is responsible for detecting inappropriate sexual behavior, reporting it to police, and protecting children from pedophiles like his mentor.

Cruz had arrived at Karadima’s community in 1980 as a vulnerable teenager, distraught after the recent death of his father. He has said Karadima told him he would be like a spiritual father to him, but instead sexually abused him.

Based on testimony from Cruz and other former members of the parish, the Vatican in 2011 removed Karadima from ministry and sentenced him to a lifetime of ‘‘penance and prayer’’ for his crimes.

Now 87, he lives in a home for elderly priests in Santiago; he hasn’t commented on the scandal and the home has declined to accept calls or visits from the news media.

Francis had named O’Malley to head his Commission for the Protection of Minors based on his credibility in having helped clean up the mess in Boston after the US sex abuse scandal exploded there in 2002.

The commission gathered outside experts to advise the church on protecting children from pedophiles and educating church personnel about preventing abuse and coverups.

The four commission members flew to Rome specifically to speak with O’Malley about the Barros appointment and to deliver Cruz’s letter. In a press release issued after the April 12, 2015, meeting, they said O’Malley agreed to present the concerns to the pope.

Commission member Catherine Bonnet, a French child psychiatrist, took the photo of Collins handing the letter to O’Malley.