This $5000 tractor, photographed on July 2, 1934, was purchased by the city to keep the tunnel cleared of broken down vehicles. To pay for this machine, motorists were charged a 50 cent tax for towing and and a dollar a gallon for gas should they run out. Gas at this time was selling at 19 cents per gallon. John F. Lane, an official with the Public Works Department noted that though the money was needed to pay for the tractor, they would still turn away any rickety automobiles which could break down and delay traffic.