January 25, 1930:  Youngsters on the Boston Common welcomed the announcement from the Boston Park Department that sliding conditions were good on the toboggan slide situated near the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument. The Common slide was a double affair, two wooden runways extended from the hill overlooking the ball fields down toward Charles St. The slides were well constructed and long enough to give sufficient momentum to carry sleds or toboggans almost to the Charles St. gates of the Common.