Quincy Market opened on Aug. 26, 1826, beside Faneuil Hall to accommodate the need for more goods and shopping. Landfill was carted in to create the plot of land for the grocery market, which was originally on the waterfront. Major expansion and renovations took place in the 1970s, and the main Quincy Market building is now part of Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Instead of meat and produce, a variety of eateries line the historic hall. — Leanne Burden Seidel and Lisa Tuite
From the Archives | Photo gallery
August 21, 2013
Read it all, now.
Get full access today for just 99¢