Franklin Park Zoo
Franklin Park Zoo
July 26 1924: Yvette, the Malay sun bear, a newcomer to the zoo, was one of its stars. Sun bears are the smallest bears in the world. Yvette was full grown and had very short, glossy black fur with a long whitish muzzle and a tawny V-shaped mark on her chest.
June 27, 1932: An interested crowd looked over the bird cage at the Franklin Park Children's Zoo. There were many talking birds in the bird house, such as parrots, cockatoos, macaws and a piping crow named Impy.
April 2, 1929: Zoo curator Daniel Harkins said good morning to Yvette the sun bear with an apple and a high five. When the zoo opened in 1912, the pens were state-of-the-art.
April 26, 1936: One of the most popular of the zoo animals was Happy, the hippopotamus who shared the elephant house with Waddy and Teddy, and who was shown here getting his teeth brushed with a broom. His reputation for dramatic entrances was such that children would wait near his pool in droves, hoping to be present when he rose up out of the the pool, snorting and bubbling, opened his tremendous jaws and displayed his massive teeth.
July 1, 1939: The elephant house showed Hazel, Dutch and Waddy showing off for the zoo keeper. Hazel and Dutch arrived in May to join Waddy, the 75-year-old pachyderm who had been living a lonesome life in the zoo elephant house. A record-breaking 35,000 visitors came the first day.
March 30, 1966: Togo the lion was seen in the new squeeze cage at Franklin Park Zoo. Only the second of this type of cage built, it had a movable side which could be cranked up against an animal to immobilize it. Once immobilized an animal could then be injected with a tranquilizer and get medical treatment if needed. It made the process of pulling a tooth or examining a paw that much safer for the zoo veterinarians.
Sept. 17, 1967: Mini, the 335-pound baby elephant, had an official dedication at the Franklin Park Children's Zoo. Mini was donated to the zoo by the employees of Bradlees and Stop & Shop. The children were tickled — literally— by the zoo's new addition.
Jan. 22, 1968: Joshua, the 1½-year-old chimpanzee on the left, shared his drink with Pan-Ku, the 9-month-old baby gorilla.
Dec. 4, 1968: Pan-Ku, the baby gorilla, helped Kathy May of the Zoological Society hang posters on the MBTA buses. The posters were a plea for a new zoo from the Boston's Zoological Society and featured Pan-Ku's picture.
July 9, 1972: Cynthia Mantalos of Brockton and Zeke, a black leopard, shared a moment at the Franklin Park Children's Zoo.
Aug. 3, 1978 : The one-ton elephant head sculpture, which hung over the doorway of the elephant house at Franklin Park Zoo, had its trunk smashed into hundreds of pieces as it was being removed. It was being removed because the Elephant House was being demolished as the first step of a $25 million reconstruction project.
Oct. 29, 1981: A worker scaled the tent-like structure which would eventually become the rain forest for residents of the Franklin Park Zoo acclimated to a tropical environment. The structure stood as tall as a seven-story building.
July 28, 1989: KiKi, an 8-year-old gorilla from the Stone Zoo, had a new home at the Franklin Park Zoo. She got her picture taken at the "house-warming" party. Three gorillas from the zoo moved to the new $29 million tropical rain forest at the Franklin Park Zoo. The gorillas had spent most of their lives in cement cages at the Stone Zoo. Now they had a "natural setting" of rocks and plants.