The Globe archive is bursting with photos of societies, foundations, and clubs that no longer exist. This one, The Burroughs Newsboys Foundation, was founded by Harry E. Burroughs to give Boston’s newsboys life experiences that would give them a better future. The foundation building, at 10 Somerset St., offered classes in music, art, government, trades, and health. Burroughs also believed these boys needed to experience the outdoors, so with the financial help of friends, he started Agasizz Village, a camp where the boys could spend the summer at little or no cost. — Thea Breite and Lisa Tuite
Globe archive photo
Jan. 24, 1930: Saul Naglin, 17, shown here in the center of the photograph, was elected mayor of the city of Newsboyville. Naglin, from Boston's West End, is shown here with the newly elected self-governing board at the Burroughs Newsboys' Foundation. The mayor's duties would be to have immediate charge of all of the affairs in which the boys participate and to act as their spokesman.
Oct. 28, 1932: Morris Weinstein (left) and Harry Marder, members of the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation of Boston, were shown working at a Washington Hand Press, a gift of the New York Times publisher Adolph Ochs to the newsboy center. This hand press was to be the beginning of the well-equipped printing plant where the boys could learn the trade.
Boston Globe archive
March 21, 1944: Four of the featured players at the annual public concert of the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation music department at the Boston Public Library. Standing, from left, are Charles NeHalsingh of Roxbury and Bernard Greenside from Dorchester. Seated are Edward Glick (left) from Roxbury and Albert Sher of Dorchester.
Works Progress Administration
April 15, 1937: The original caption on this photo read: "The presence of comely young ladies in the art classes at the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation has caused some conjecture. Are they trying to make the Newsboys Foundation co-ed? Have they possibly even been girl newsies or, pardon, salesladies of Boston papers? Today, there are girls in Boston who have paper routes of their own and deliver morning, evening and Sunday editions."
Arthur J. Egan
Dec. 3, 1928: Frank Archer Jr. (at right), owner of the Moxie Co. of Boston, presented an electric horse to newsboys of the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation. The horse was a reproduction of the one in the White House, used by President Coolidge. Harry E. Burroughs was at left accepting the gift. A former immigrant newsboy from Russia, who became a successful attorney, Harry E. Burroughs established the Foundation to offer to newsboys the benefits he wanted himself as a boy and couldn't have.
Boston Globe archive photo
Sept. 13, 1930: The Burroughs Newsboys Foundation Baseball Team was coached by Joseph Lapidus, shown in the top row on the far left.
Boston Globe archive
Aug. 22, 1940: Boys have fun at Agassiz Village, the summer camp of the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation. Mr. and Mrs. Maximilian Agassiz, friends of Burroughs, who shared his vision of exposing children to nature in its purest form, were the original donors of the camp property. Agassiz's grandfather was the renowned Harvard naturalist Louis Agassiz.
Aug. 13 1939: Dr. Nicholas Fiumara checked each boy's height and weight during their stay at Agassiz Village, the Burroughs Newsboys Foundation's summer camp at West Poland, Maine. Here the boys could work at crafts in the blacksmith shop, hike nature trails, and swim at a completely equipped waterfront.
Aug. 13 1939: Some 500 newsies from Greater Boston communities had a swell time at the 600-acre Agassiz Village of the Burroughs Newsboys' Foundation in West Poland, Maine, during the school vacation season. Most stayed for two weeks, but some in poorer physical condition were able to stay for a month in the camp's natural surroundings. The village was alongside cool Lake Thompson. It even had its own "fire department," manned by the boys themselves. Here the newsies got in shape by pitching hay.
Aug. 13 ,1939: One of the 32 real horses that bigger boys rode got new shoes at the village blacksmith shop at Camp Agassiz.