Carl Yastrzemski of the Red Sox won the American League’s triple crown -- homers, runs batted in and batting average -- and then some.
This is how he finished the season:
* Led the American League in batting, .326.
* Led the league in runs batted in, 121.
* Led the league in runs scored, 113.
* Led the league in hits, 189.
* Led the league in total bases, 360.
* Led the league in slugging percentage, .622.
* Tied in home runs, 44.
No wonder, a man in defeat, Mgr. Carl Ermer of Minnesota, took time to praise his enemy. Ermer said, “I’d have to say Yastrzemski is the most valuable player” in the American league.