Baseball is a game of numbers, and most of them were downright ugly yesterday as the Red Sox tried to give the new owners some of their $700 million worth against the Toronto Blue Jays on Opening Day at Fenway Park.
Here’s a sampling of the numerical madness the teams foisted on the faithful among the 33,520 who endured every last twist of the 4-hour-12-minute “slobber knocker,” as Trot Nixon portrayed the 12-11 loss:
* 27 runners left on base, with the Sox leaving the bases loaded three times and wasting a couple of other prime opportunities;
* 19 walks;
* four hit batsmen, all Blue Jays;
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week