Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Baseball Notebook

A’s lose Scott Sizemore for the season

The Athletics said yesterday that third baseman Scott Sizemore will miss the entire 2012 season after tearing a ligament in his left knee.

Sizemore was hurt Saturday during the first day of full-squad workouts. He had an MRI exam and the A’s said he tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

Continue reading below

Sizemore was acquired by Oakland last May in a trade with Detroit. He hit .249 with 11 home runs and 52 RBIs in 93 games with the A’s.

Marshall set up

Sean Marshall is well positioned to become the Reds’ closer of the future. The lefthander agreed to a new contract that adds $16.5 million over three seasons through 2015. Cincinnati’s setup man already was guaranteed $3.1 million this season as part of a two-year contract. The deal adds salaries of $4.5 million in 2013, $5.5 million in 2014 and $6.5 million in 2015 . . . Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard was in Baltimore to have his surgically repaired left Achilles’ tendon examined. Scott Sheridan, the Phillies head trainer, said the visit wasn’t a sign of a setback on Howard’s rehabilitation. Weekend reports indicated that Howard was wearing a bandage on his left ankle because of a seroma, an open wound at the surgical point. Howard was to visit Dr. Mark Myerson, who performed the surgery, before returning to Clearwater, Fla., tomorrow.

Bidders to interview

Seven groups of bidders for the Dodgers, including Magic Johnson and Stan Kroenke, will interview with baseball’s ownership committee in the next step toward selling the bankrupt team by the end of April. In the unusual process agreed to last year by Major League Baseball and current Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, MLB will consider groups for approval before McCourt then selects the winner of the auction, which is likely to be for a price of more than $1 billion. Former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley, Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley, and Tony Ressler of the assets firm Ares Management are not being scheduled for interviews with the ownership committee, a person involved in the process said . . . Despite pending litigation related to the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, a huge payroll drop, and uncertainly about his team’s ability to secure free agents, Mets owner Fred Wilpon said in Port St. Lucie, Fla., that he’s still excited about the upcoming season and will own the franchise for a long time.

Abreu satisfied

Angels outfielder Bobby Abreu said he’s satisfied he’ll get enough playing time this season after meeting with Angels manager Mike Scioscia . . . Joel Zumaya’s season is over, his time with the Twins ended before it began. Now the oft-injured reliever has to decide whether his once-promising career is finished as well. “Right now, my perspective is probably not,’’ Zumaya said, two days after tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow . . . Neftali Feliz and Derek Holland were among 13 players who agreed to contracts with the two-time defending American League champion Rangers. Feliz, who is making the switch to the rotation after being their closer last season, agreed to a $502,000, one-year deal. That is just less than the $504,700 for Holland, a 16-game winner last year. Alexi Ogando, a 13-game winner and All-Star after going into the rotation at the end of spring training, got a $497,600 deal. Ogando could be headed back to the bullpen . . . The Royals signed catcher Salvador Perez, 21, to a five-year contract worth $7 million.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com