The first call that Joe Castiglione received Wednesday was from Paul Olden, the public address announcer at Yankee Stadium.
Olden considered Carl Beane a good friend. News that Beane had died in a single-car crash after suffering a heart attack had been spreading, and Olden was devastated.
“He was very upset,’’ Castiglione said. “Carl was close to him.’’
Beane was part of a special fraternity of those whose voices echo throughout ballparks and ring in fans’ memories. He walked proudly in the footsteps of iconic Red Sox announcer Sherm Feller and was friends with former Yankees announcer Bob Sheppard.
“Carl would stay in touch with them right until the end of his life,’’ Castiglione said. “They were very close.’’
Beane, who died at 59, was in his 10th season as the voice of Fenway Park.
“It was shocking, and so sad to hear,’’ Castiglione said. “He had such a love for this job.
“I think he really thought that this was the ultimate. He was the voice of Fenway Park for 10 years and the glory years. He was really just a great guy. He was just so happy here, doing what he did.’’
In their first home game since Beane’s death, the Red Sox honored him Thursday night with a video presentation and a moment of silence. And just as they had done for Feller after he died in 1994, they went without a public address announcer for the game.
Kevin Youkilis, who learned of Beane’s death watching the news Wednesday, said, “It was tough. It was pretty emotional, pretty sad just to see that for all Red Sox fans.
“Carl being up there, just that voice, when you come up to bat, you hear that and all the other players around the league that come up to bat, it’s pretty cool. It’s an unfortunate thing and hopefully his family and friends are doing OK.’’
Clay Buchholz first heard Beane’s voice during a trip to Fenway before he was drafted by the Red Sox, and it stuck with him.
“That’s just the one thing you remember whenever you leave the ballpark,’’ Buchholz said. “Obviously you remember watching David Ortiz and Youk and all those guys come up to bat, but it’s that voice, it’s definitely a distinct voice that everybody knows and everybody’s going to remember.’’
Nava is up and in
Daniel Nava was called up from Pawtucket Thursday and immediately plugged into the lineup in left field. He went 1 for 2 with two walks in the Sox’ 8-3 loss to the Indians. “I wasn’t expecting it,’’ Nava said. “When I was cruising up here, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be playing or if I was going to be in the lineup or anything.’’ To make room for Nava, righthander Clayton Mortensen was sent to Pawtucket. Mortensen allowed just one run in 9 1/3 innings - “plenty well enough to be on the staff,’’ said manager Bobby Valentine - but with the need for depth in the outfield and a desire to rest Cody Ross, the Sox used the pitcher’s option. “I don’t know that Clay could have done more,’’ Valentine said. “When I called him into my office, I told him baseball - and life - isn’t fair. Nowhere does it say it has to be fair. And this one wasn’t fair to him.’’ The Sox also designated lefthander Justin Thomas for assignment.
Youkilis an admirer
Youkilis is still on the disabled list with a strained back muscle but could resume baseball activities soon, Valentine said, starting by playing catch Friday. After watching his replacement, Will Middlebrooks, go deep twice Monday against Kansas City - spraying balls down the lines in both right and left field - Youkilis said, “I was joking, I was like, ‘They should put a foul pole in center field so he can hit it off that, too.’ It’s pretty amazing to watch. It’s great for him to come up on this stage and perform on a high level.’’ Youkilis spoke in support of the rookie, even though his performance has some wondering what the Sox will do once Youkilis is able to return. Valentine shot down the idea of Middlebrooks moving to the outfield. “I just want to come back,’’ said Youkilis, “and I feel good, but they want to make sure that I can be healthy all year. It’s tough to watch. It’s tough to not be a part of. Me, personally, I hate watching baseball and love to play it.’’
Crawford not close
Carl Crawford, who has a strained ligament in his elbow, said he is still two weeks from throwing. “The wrist is ready to go,’’ he said. “The wrist finally got well, then I had this setback. So definitely, if the elbow was fine, I’d be ready to go.’’Julian Benbow can be reached at email@example.com.