The MLB non-waivers trade deadline is Tuesday at 4 p.m. The Red Sox continue to be linked to many teams. Here are updates on some of the rumors:
• Josh Beckett’s name is out there as a potential trading chip. But Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington shot down the idea that the Sox were trying to trade the righthander.
• The Red Sox are not entertaining offers on Jon Lester. “He’s staying,” a team source said.
• The Red Sox are trying to turn their outfield, bullpen and catching depth into trade chips according to several other teams. Players like Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Sweeney, Matt Albers, and Andrew Miller could be of interest to contenders looking to improve their bench or bullpen.
The Sox can afford to trade a reliever or two knowing that Andrew Bailey is returning and that pitchers such as Clayton Mortensen and Junichi Tazawa have shown they are capable of pitching in the majors.
• The re-emergence of minor league pitchers Drake Britton and Stolmy Pimentel as prospects this season could prove valuable on the trade market as throw-ins.
• Bringing back pitcher Justin Masterson from Cleveland appears to interest the Red Sox.