Bart Scott has pushed himself for weeks, trying to tough out a painful toe injury.
This week, though, the New York Jets linebacker might have to sit one out.
Scott’s streak of playing in 119 straight games could end Sunday against Miami because of a hyperextended big toe that has ailed him since the third game of the season. He missed his second day of practice Thursday after he played just nine defensive snaps against the Patriots last Sunday.
‘‘I’ve always prided myself on being able to have a high tolerance to play through things,’’ Scott said. ‘‘I just want to show my teammates that I’m willing to bite down and continue to play and do what I can to help us win. If we have to shut it down, we shut it down. If not, then we’ll be ready to go.’’
Scott injured the big toe on his right foot on the second defensive play against Miami Sept. 23, and described it as ‘‘turf toe, ligament damage, capsule strains, and things like that.’’ Coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine both said that it’s an injury that normally sidelines a player for three or four weeks.
Scott was replaced mostly last week by rookie Demario Davis, a speedy linebacker who could be in line to eventually replace him as the starter.
Scott’s impressive run dates to 2004 with the Baltimore Ravens, and ranks as the fifth-longest streak among active NFL linebackers.
‘‘I don’t care about a streak,’’ Scott said. ‘‘I care about helping my team win and trying to win a championship. That’s always been my primary goal, and that’s why I came here. If helping the team best is for me to be on the sideline and help these young linebackers see what’s going on and help slow the game down for them, then I’ll do that.’’
The outspoken linebacker hasn’t weighed in much on the back-and-forth banter between the Jets and Dolphins.
Miami center Mike Pouncey called New York defensive end Aaron Maybin “a joke” after Maybin said Wednesday that the Jets want to “knock out” running back Reggie Bush, “but we’re out to do it legally.” Pouncey was told of Maybin’s comments Thursday and fired back: ‘‘He’s done nothing in this league to even open his mouth.’’
Wideouts are out
Green Bay’s No. 1 receiver, Greg Jennings, will have surgery Tuesday to repair a torn abdominal muscle that has kept him out for most of the season.
Jennings would not put a timetable on his return, but said recovery from the 20-25-minute outpatient procedure is not season-ending. The two-time Pro Bowl selection was initially hurt in the closing minutes of the opener against San Francisco, and has been unable to stay on the field.
One receiver who may not be able to return from surgery is Washington’s Pierre Garcon, who said he has a torn ligament on the bottom of his right foot.
Garcon hopes to avoid surgey but said if he can’t, his season will likely end.
Garcon described the injury that’s sidelined him for four of the last six games as a ‘‘plantar plate tear’’ near his second toe. The plantar plate is a ligament that holds a toe in its joint.
Garcon only has eight catches for 153 yards this season, his first with the Redskins after signing a $42.5 million, five-year contract as a free agent.
Tennessee left tackle Michael Roos might not play against the Colts, which would end a streak of starting 119 games. Roos had his appendix removed Monday in an emergency operation. Roos said his streak, which is second among active offensive tackles to Jeff Backus of Detroit (181), is a source of pride . . . Denver cornerback Tracy Porter missed practice to see a doctor about symptoms he continues to experience following a seizure he suffered in August. Porter is hoping to get medical clearance to play Sunday night against New Orleans, his former team . . . Browns running back Trent Richardson was limited in practice with a rib injury, but is expected to play Sunday . . . The Jaguars placed linebacker Daryl Smith (groin) on injured reserve with a designation to return later this season.
The Browns now officially belong to Jimmy Haslam. His $1.05 billion purchase of the franchise from Randy Lerner was closed Thursday, just nine days after the sale was approved by the league’s owners. Haslam now owns 70 percent of the team, and the truck stop magnate will get the other 30 percent from Lerner in four years . . . Two business associates of former Patriots and Cowboys linebacker Eugene Lockhart were sentenced to prison in a $20 million mortgage scam. A federal judge in Dallas sentenced William Randolph Tisdale Jr. to 10 years for conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud. Hubert Jones III must serve nearly five years in prison for wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and bank fraud. Lockhart, who played in New England in 1991-92, pleaded guilty to wire fraud last year and awaits sentencing. He faces up to 10 years in prison.