Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Baseball notebook

Notes: Mike Redmond hired as Marlins manager

Former major league catcher Mike Redmond will get his first crack as a manager with the Miami Marlins.

Steve Senne/File/Associated Press

Former major league catcher Mike Redmond will get his first crack as a manager with the Miami Marlins.

The Miami Marlins’ celebrity manager was a bust, so they’re calling one up from the minors.

Mike Redmond, who spent the past two years managing Single A teams in the Toronto Blue Jays’ system, was hired Thursday by the Marlins to replace Ozzie Guillen.

Continue reading below

A former major league catcher, Redmond had not interviewed for a big league job until he met with the Marlins last week. He received a three-year contract and will be introduced as the Marlins’ fifth manager since mid-2010 at a news conference at their balllark Friday.

Guillen said he would be rooting for Redmond.

‘‘Congrats Mike Redmond,’’ Guillen tweeted. ‘‘Good luck buddy u have great guys going to play for you . . . Hope the best for you. u are a good baseball man and you will have fun with the players.’’

Guillen was fired last week after only one season with the Marlins. A year ago they traded two minor league players to obtain him from the Chicago White Sox and gave him a team-record $10 million, four-year deal.

Redmond brings a much lower profile. A .287 hitter over 13 seasons, he played seven years for the Marlins and was the backup catcher to Ivan Rod­riguez on their 2003 World Series championship team.

Because of Redmond’s ties to Miami owner Jeffrey Loria and president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest, he was considered the front-runner for the job.

Also interviewed were former major league manager Larry Bowa, former Pittsburgh Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon, and Cincinnati Reds pitching coach Bryan Price.

Redmond, 41, becomes the 11th former catcher among current managers.

Pascual Perez killed

Former major league pitcher Pascual Perez, who had a troubled 11-season career that included two suspensions for drug use, was killed at his home in the Dominican Republic in an apparent robbery, police said. Perez, who last played in the majors for the Yankees in 1991, was found with a severe head wound in a town west of the capital, Santo Domingo, and there was evidence at the scene to suggest that whoever killed him had been searching for money, said Joel Valdemiro, a prosecutor who is involved in the investigation. No one was in custody and authorities did not reveal whether they had any suspects. Perez, 55, played 11 seasons in the majors and compiled a lifetime record of 67-68 with the Braves, Pirates, Expos, and Yankees. But he was in and out of trouble for much of his career . . . The Rays are bringing Don Zimmer back for the 2013 season as a senior adviser, marking his 10th with the Rays and 65th season in professional baseball. The Rays are one of 13 major league teams Zimmer, 81, has worn a uniform, and 2013 will help him match the 10 seasons he spent with the Yankees for his longest tenure with one club . . . Former NL MVPs Marty Marion and Bucky Walters, and former Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert, who acquired Babe Ruth from the Red Sox, are among 10 candidates on the ballot for the baseball Hall of Fame’s pre-integration era committee. Former Red Sox pitcher Wes Ferrell is also on the 10-man ballot. Candidates for the pre-integration committee must have made their most significant impact by 1946.

Braves obtain Schafer

The Braves reacquired outfielder Jordan Schafer by claiming him off waivers from the Astros. Schafer, who hit .211 with 27 stolen bases in 106 games for Houston last season, spent 6½ years in the Braves’ organization before getting dealt to Houston in July 2011. Schafer stole a combined 22 bases for the Braves and Astros in 2011, but he was arrested the following October in Tampa on a felony possession of marijuana . . . The World Series champion Giants are parting ways with Aubrey Huff, declining to exercise his $10 million club option Thursday after two disappointing seasons following a big year during the team’s title run two years ago . . . First baseman Adam La­Roche, coming off a career-high 33-homer season, and lefthanded reliever Sean Burnett became free agents after voiding mutual options in their contracts with the Nationals. LaRoche bypassed a $10 million option for 2013 . . . Lefthander Jorge De La Rosa exercised his $11 million player option for 2013, the final year in a three-year, $33 million contract.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week