You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

NHL suggests two-week break in talks

TORONTO — Negotiations had already hit a wall in the ongoing hockey labor fight, and now the NHL has suggested the sides take an official two-week break before getting back to the bargaining table.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman floated the idea of a break to players’ association executive director Donald Fehr. The union hasn’t responded to the league yet, but the players maintained their position on Thursday night that they are ready and willing to meet at any time, and the only way to reach a deal to end the long lockout is to keep talking and negotiating.

Continue reading below

‘‘Gary suggested the possibility of a two-week moratorium,’’ NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an e-mail to the AP on Thursday night. ‘‘I’m disappointed because we don’t have a negotiating partner that has any genuine interest in reaching an agreement. Zero interest.’’

The suggestion of a break was first reported by The Canadian Press on Thursday night.

With no new negotiations scheduled, and communication in general shutting down, the NHL appears to be getting closer to calling off more games, putting the entire season in jeopardy.

‘‘I hope not, but I’m more discouraged now than I have been at any point in the process,’’ Daly said. ‘‘I responded to Don saying he did not know how to proceed from here.’’

The players’ association wants to keep the bargaining going, despite how frustrating recent sessions have been.

‘‘Of course everyone on the players’ side wants to reach an agreement,’’ union special counsel Steve Fehr said in a statement Thursday night. ‘‘The players have offered the owners concessions worth about a billion dollars. What exactly have the owners offered the players? We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don’t. So we are ready to meet.

‘‘If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the players meet their preconditions. What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?’’

The sides put on a push to make an agreement last week when they met over six consecutive days in New York. However, Friday’s session ended with a heated exchange, and talks lasted only about an hour on Sunday.

The 61-day lockout has claimed 327 regular-season games, and more could be wiped out within a week. It is believed that an agreement would need to be in place by the end of next week for the season to get underway on Dec. 1.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week