The face of the Mets plans to stick around for quite a while.
All-Star third baseman David Wright and the Mets agreed Friday to a $138 million, eight-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told the Associated Press.
The deal, the richest in franchise history, replaces Wright’s $16 million salary for next season and includes $122 million in new money, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement was not yet final.
The contract is expected to be announced at next week’s winter meetings in Nashville. Some of the money in Wright’s deal will be deferred.
A homegrown fan favorite, Wright is the club’s career leader in several major offensive categories including hits, RBIs, runs, and walks.
Wright, who turns 30 on Dec. 20, would have been eligible for free agency after next season.
Wright batted .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs last season as the Mets went 74-88 and finished fourth in the NL East for the fourth straight year. He also had a .391 on-base percentage to go with 41 doubles and 15 stolen bases.
The Mets declined to offer contracts to outfielder Andres Torres and righthanders Mike Pelfrey and Manny Acosta. They will become free agents Saturday.
Poll ominous for trio
According to a survey conducted by the AP, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Sammy Sosa won’t receive enough votes to get into the Hall of Fame on their first try.
With steroid scandals still very much on the minds of longtime members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America as they cast their ballots this month (resulted are released Jan. 9), the trio failed to muster even 50 percent support among the 112 voters contacted by the AP — nearly one-fifth of those eligible to vote. Candidates need 75 percent for election.
Among voters who expressed an opinion, Bonds received 45 percent support, Clemens 43 percent, and Sosa 18 percent. To gain election, Bonds and Clemens would need more than 80 percent support among the voters not surveyed and Sosa would need to get more than 85 percent.
Testosterone at fault
The substance that caused Manny Ramirez to test positive for a banned substance last year was testosterone, a person familiar with the situation told the AP.
The administrator of baseball’s drug program issued his annual report Friday. The document lists the substances that resulted in seven positive tests for performance-enhancing drugs that led to discipline.
Six players were suspended earlier this year for taking prohibited substances, and in each case the substance that triggered the positive test was announced under a change to baseball’s drug agreement.
However, one positive test was unaccounted for and it came from Ramirez, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because that detail wasn’t included in the report.
Rivera takes pay cut
The Yankees finalized a $10 million, one-year contract with closer Mariano Rivera. Baseball’s career saves leader accepted a cut in guaranteed money from his $30 million deal that had covered the last two years. Rivera can earn an additional $1 million if he wins the Rolaids Relief Award, plus bonuses tied to postseason MVP honors. New York also agreed to a one-year contract with utilityman Jayson Nix and claimed righthander Jim Miller off waivers from Oakland . . . Russell Martin knows going from the Yankees to the Pirates “is going to be a challenge” but he’s up for it. The former All-Star catcher signed a two-year, $17 million contract with Pittsburgh Friday after two seasons with New York. Martin was offered a three-year, $20 million deal by the Yankees in spring training but did not accept it. New York did not make him an offseason offer. Martin gets a $2 million signing bonus payable by Dec. 31 and salaries of $6.5 million next season and $8.5 million in 2014. Righthander Jeff Karstens was designated for assignment by the Pirates to clear a roster spot for Martin. Karstens was 5-4 with a 3.97 ERA in 19 games, including 15 starts, last season while spending time on the disabled list with shoulder and groin injuries.
Hanson to Angels
The Braves traded righthander Tommy Hanson to the Angels for reliever Jordan Walden, clearing a spot in the Atlanta rotation for one of its several young starters. Hanson, 26, set a career high with 13 wins in 2012, but his ERA climbed for the third straight season to a career-worst 4.48. ‘‘It’s a good risk on a pitcher we really believe in,’’ said Angels GM Jerry Dipoto. Walden, 25, had 32 saves in 2011 as a rookie but lost the closer’s job last season, when he posted a 3.46 ERA in 45 appearances. The Braves also declined to tender contract offers to righthanders Jair Jurrjens and Peter Moylan . . . The Orioles declined to offer a contract to slugger Mark Reynolds, who split the season between first and third base. Reynolds hit 23 homers last season, his lowest output since his rookie year in 2007. He also struck out 159 times. Baltimore also acquired former Red Sox infielder Yamaico Navarro from the Pirates . . . The Giants declined to tender a one-year contract to former All-Star closer Brian Wilson, who is recovering from a second ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow. Wilson pitched in just two games last season, in which he made $8.5 million . . . The Astros claimed righthander Philip Humber off waivers from the White Sox, with the sides agreeing to a one-year contract worth $800,000. Humber pitched a perfect game April 21 but went 5-5 with a 6.44 ERA . . . The Royals and second baseman Chris Getz avoided arbitration by agreeing a $1.05 million, one-year contract.