NEW YORK — The NHL and the players’ association are further apart than ever.
Union executive director Donald Fehr began the first of his two news conferences Thursday night by proclaiming he believed the sides had agreements on such issues as actual dollars, and then returned moments later to reveal the NHL rejected everything his side offered.
Hot-button topics such as the ‘‘make-whole’’ provision on existing contracts not only weren’t settled, but are no longer being offered by the league. Forget that owners were willing to pay up to $300 million to cover the costs, and commissioner Gary Bettman countered by saying the entire concept is off the table — along with everything else the league offered during the previous two days of talks.
‘‘They knew there was a major gulf between us and yet they came down here and told you we were close,’’ deputy commissioner Bill Daly said about Fehr’s remarks.
When the NHL agreed to increase its make-whole offer of deferred payments from $211 million to $300 million it was part of a proposed package that required the union to agree on three nonnegotiable points. Instead, the players’ association accepted the raise in funds, but then made counterproposals on the issues the league stated had no wiggle room.
That ended Thursday’s long-awaited meeting after just an hour and sent the NHL negotiating team back to the league office.
‘‘I am disappointed beyond belief,’’ Bettman said.
The sides won’t meet face-to-face again before Saturday at the earliest. While Bettman insisted that a drop-dead date to have a deal that would preserve a season with ‘‘integrity’’ hasn’t been established — even internally — clearly there isn’t a whole lot of time to work out an agreement.
‘‘I’m surprised,’’ Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby said. ‘‘We feel like we moved in their direction.’’
‘‘It looks like this is not going to be resolved in the immediate future,’’ Fehr said.
The NHL wants to limit personal player contracts to five years, and has elevated the issue to the highest level of importance.
‘‘It’s the hill we will die on,’’ said Daly, who added that the owners were ‘‘insulted’’ by the players’ response to the owners’ offer Wednesday night.
The union countered with an offer of an eight-year maximum length with the variable in salary being no greater than a 25 percent difference between the highest-paid year of the deal and the lowest.
Talks resumed Tuesday night with owners and players in the room, and Bettman and Fehr on the outside. It sparked what seemed to be the most optimistic developments in the lockout that has now lasted 82 days.
But the tenor began to change Wednesday, and discourse erupted on a wild Thursday night that featured three news conferences in the span of an hour. The sides went from not wanting to say much of anything Wednesday to not being able to stop voicing their opinions Thursday.
When the players suggested Wednesday night that they wanted Fehr to rejoin the process Thursday, the NHL informed them that his inclusion could be a ‘‘deal-breaker.’’
‘‘We thought we were getting close. There was definitely movement toward each other,’’ Winnipeg Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey said. ‘‘As confident as some of us players are in the issues, we cannot close deals. I’d love to think I could, we cannot.’’
Fehr and brother Steve, the union’s special counsel, were in Thursday’s session, as were Daly and lead league counsel Bob Batterman. None of the six owners who attended the meetings Tuesday and Wednesday were present, though some players were.
Steve Fehr and a number of players stood in the back of the room with arms folded as Bettman and Daly stood at the podium to present the league’s position.
There were already signs the process was breaking down earlier Thursday when the union requested that federal mediators rejoin the discussions. A similar request was turned down by the league earlier this week. Mediators previously were unsuccessful in creating a breakthrough after two days of discussions last week.