Roberto Luongo is still open to a trade no matter how long it takes the Vancouver Canucks to deal him.
The star goalie returned to the ice for an informal workout with his Canucks teammates on Friday while facing an uncertain future.
Luongo was displaced as Vancouver’s No. 1 netminder by Cory Schneider in last year’s playoffs. After the season, Luongo said he would waive his no-trade clause if asked, but general manager Mike Gillis couldn’t swing a deal before the 113-day lockout began in September.
‘‘I told [Gillis] I was ready to go as long as it took,’’ Luongo said. ‘‘Whether it’s a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it’s totally fine with me.’’
Luongo has long been rumored to be headed to the Maple Leafs.
The Flyers are another team rumored to have interest in Luongo, but general manager Paul Holmgren shot down that rumor.
“That made me chuckle,’’ Holmgren told the Philadelphia Daily News. “It’s safe to say those rumors aren’t true.’’
The Flyers have big money invested in goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, who at 32 is a year younger than Luongo and is due less money ($41 million over the next eight seasons). Luongo has 10 years and $47 million remaining on his deal.
Trades are prohibited until players have ratified the proposed new collective bargaining agreement, which is expected to happen on Saturday. Training camps would then likely open on Sunday.
Sabres’ Miller vents
After rejoining his Sabres teammates on the ice for the first time in some nine months, goalie Ryan Miller had a few lingering frustrations to get off his chest regarding the lockout.
‘‘The best thing to do is acknowledge that it was stupid,’’ Miller said before turning his attention to Sabres fans. ‘‘I appreciate their patience. I know it’s a hard situation. I still don’t even know the right message because it was just a stupid, useless waste of time.’’
Miller, who played a role in negotiations, called himself ‘‘embarrassed’’ that it took more than six months of negotiations to reach an agreement.
Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom said he doesn’t have a concussion and is ready for the start of the truncated season. Backstrom was back on the ice for an informal skate at the team’s facility after visiting a specialist in Michigan. The center missed 40 games with a concussion last season, and there was concern he had suffered another one last month when he took a hit while playing in Russia during the lockout. Backstrom said the specialist found ‘‘nothing serious’’ — mainly stiffness in the neck. “No concussion — so we can all be calm,’’ he said . . . Forward Johan Hecht, who was playing for his hometown team in Germany, is returning to the Sabres, agreeing to a one-year contract . . . The Ducks announced former Anaheim captain and four-time Stanley Cup champion defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be an assistant coach this season, though he won’t be behind the bench every game.